AMERICAN GIS ARRIVE IN THE UK BY TROOPSHIP (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: AMERICAN GIS ARRIVE IN THE UK BY TROOPSHIP (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 2-4
- Other titles:
- Summary: United States Army personnel arrive at Liverpool during the pre-'Overlord' build-up in the United Kingdom.
- Description: I. Two former passenger liners, SS Dominion Monarch and SS Stirling Castle, arrive at the Mersey Docks in Liverpool with many hundreds of GIs on board. Wearing greatcoats and lugging kitbags, rucksacks and rifles, troops descend from gangways and march along the quayside. At Liverpool Station American Red Cross girls give newspapers to GIs on board a troop train. US military policemen (known as 'snowdrops' on account of their white helmets) escort a contingent of troops along the quayside and more men disembark from the Stirling Castle. GIs (one wearing a 2nd US Infantry Division flash on his shoulder) await transportation from the Docks. II. Hundreds of troops line the decks of SS Athlone Castle as she docks. GIs in full kit disembark onto the quayside. US Army service troops are seen aboard the ship, leaning out of the portholes, waving to the camera and playing 'craps' on deck. US Army nurses wearing steel helmets disembark. US troops are bidden farewell by a Red Cross girl as they leave Liverpool Station.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-04-05
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Leeson, W J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: United States Army (regiment/service) United States Army & Div, Infantry, 2 (regiment/service) United States Army & Military Police (regiment/service) United States Army & [nurses] (regiment/service) Royal Navy, DOMINION MONARCH (SS) (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Stirling Castle (regiment/service) Royal Navy, ATHLONE CASTLE (RMS), troopship (regiment/service) American Red Cross (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British auxiliary - transport: Dominion Monarch (object name) ships, British auxiliary - transport: Stirling Castle (object name) ships, British auxiliary - transport: Athlone Castle (object name) operations, United States military - movement: ship (object name) Second World War, British Home Front & US forces, concentration in UK & 4/1944 (event) GB, England & Liverpool, Lancs <docks> (geography) GB, England & Liverpool, Lancs <railway station> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 456 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: Summary: April 1944 saw the largest monthly intake of American troops into Great Britain - some 217,000 in all. After the arrival of a further 108,000 in May, the UK was declared 'full'
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: