- Title: SICILY CAMPAIGN [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 512/3
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Various scenes of Allied troops in Sicily.
- Description: Men of the 231 Brigade Anti-Malaria Unit hacking their way through heavy vegetation and spraying it with serum. Water being sprayed. Troops washing in the cleansed stream. An American officer of AMGOT (Allied Military Government for Occupied Territories) and a Sister of Mercy nun bring boxes of food to young children living in caves near Caltanissetta after the invasion. Children pouring out of the caves and clamouring for food. Close ups of children eating. Eighth Army infantry storming and capturing a mountain railway station under heavy fire from the water towers and railway trucks. They break into the burning station and push on down the line, past burning rails and dead bodies.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (AYY 512/3)
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-25
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Hopkinson, Peter Richard Gunton1920-06-272007-06-28Hopkinson started him career in the film industry at the age of 16 as a clapper boy at Ealing Studios, then working at Denham Studios. He volunteered for overseas service in 1941and was an AFPU photographer and informant in the "Wartime Filming" interview project. He was sent to Persia initially to make a film about getting supplies through to Russia and made many other films in the Western Desert. He joined the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA). His career after the war was mainly filming documentaries and his last documentary was Whickers War, made in 2004. (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Eighth Army (regiment/service) British Army, 231st Brigade (regiment/service) United States Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Italy 1939-1945 (theme) Caltanissetta, Sicily, Italy (geography) Operation Husky, Allied Invasion of Sicily 1943, Italy, Second World War (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 500 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects: