THE 3RD DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF CAEN ON THE FIRST DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 3RD DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF CAEN ON THE FIRST DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 73-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: Lebisey, scene of disaster for the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment on June 7th 1944, falls to 185th Brigade a month later.
- Description: Infantrymen from 1st KOSB dig in at Lebisey Wood; nearby a 20th Anti-Tank Regiment RA carrier-borne six-pounder gun detachment prepares to move off along the Caen-Bieville road. At Bieville, Sherman tank crewmen from 144th RAC's 'A' squadron watch an infantry section and a 9th Field Ambulance RAMC jeep returning with casualties squeeze past. Troops from various 3rd Division units are seen in Bieville. A Stuart V from 144th RAC's recce troop allow a 2nd KSLI universal carrier (ferrying casualty) and a DR (despatch rider) right of-way out of Bieville; a Sherman from 144th RAC's 'B' squadron passes an AFPU cameraman. Sappers from 17th Field Company RE probe a side road for mines.In lebisey, an M5 half-track from the RE unit passes a derelict six-pounder gun; a sign on an abandoned 8.8cm Raketenpanzerbüsche indicates a mine-free route through the village. A Canadian jeep and Shermans from 144th RAC's RHQ troop and 153rd Field Regiment RA head in opposite directions through Lebisey. Jeep ambulances returning with British and German injured pass a wrecked POL dump in the village.
- Access Conditions: IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-08
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film Unit (Production company) Gross, A C (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Lebisey, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 168 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: See with A70 71-3 to 71-5, 9; 72-3, 4, 8, 9; 73-1, 3, 4; 74-2, 3; 75-2 to 75-5; 76-1, 3; 77-2 to 77-4, 6, 8 for footage showing 3rd Division in action during "Charnwood". On June 7th, the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment lost 10 officers and 144 other ranks when it ran into units of the 21st Panzer Division at Lebisey among the fatal casualties was its own CO, Lieutenant-Colonel Herdon Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné footage listed above notably A70 73-4 which contains similar, complementary footage. Documentation/associated material: in addition to the publications listed in A70 71-3, 5; 73-1 read 'Borderers in Battle; The War Story of the Kings Own Scots Borderers 1939-1945' by Captain H Gunning.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: