- Title: HMS DUKE OF YORK ENTERS SAGAMI BAY PRIOR TO JAPANESE SURRENDER [Main Title]
- Film Number: ADM 1175
- Other titles:
- Summary: The British Pacific Fleet in Japanese waters.
- Description: 1. Long shot over focsle of King George V Class battleship to two Iowa Class battleships in line ahead - leading vessel turns to port. Three-quarter medium shots of USS Iowa battleship - she signals with bridge light. Medium long shot of USS Iowa and US destroyer anchored offshore (Twin Oerlikon mountings and ratings in foreground). Medium long shot of Baltimore Class heavy cruiser and Iowa Class battleship under way. Close-up as Japanese translator (for pilot) is brought on board HMS Duke of York by breeches buoy from HMS Whelp. HMS Duke of York steams into Sagami Bay led by USS Iowa and USS Missouri - officer on bridge of camera ship in foreground. Medium shot from starboard quarter as camera ship closes on Duke of York. Low angle medium shot of Duke of York's mainmast flying Admiral's flag at the main, and ensigns at starboard yard and gaff. Close up of ensign at gaff. High angle of 5.25-inch turret and port wing of GFP (with lookouts closed up) on Duke of York. Low angle medium shot of bridge. Medium shot on focsle as blacksmith slips starboard anchor (note rust cloud). High angle medium shots of focsle of Duke of York coming to anchor, and with crew relaxing whilst underway in slight sea. Long shot of Baltimore Class heavy cruiser and 3 US carriers on horizon. High angle medium shot of men relaxing on top of 5.25-inch turret. Medium close-up, Admiral Fraser and Flight Lieutenant. Medium shot as USS O'Bannon closes and Admiral Halsey transfers on breeches buoy. Close-ups of two admirals. Medium shot and long shot as massed formations of aircraft (US Avengers, Hellcats etc) fly over British flagship. 2. Normandy. Long shot as formations of bombers and Spitfires go over - cloudy conditions. Long shot as one aircraft crashes in flames.
- Access Conditions: Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-08
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: British Paramount News (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 471 (HMS DUKE OF YORK ENTERS SAGAMI BAY [Allocated Title])