BRITISH TROOPS RE-OCCUPY THE TOWN OF VILLERS-BOCAGE [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: BRITISH TROOPS RE-OCCUPY THE TOWN OF VILLERS-BOCAGE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 113-5
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage of 59th (Staffordshire) Division's entry into the once fiercely-contested and completely devastated town of Villers-Bocage in the evening of August 4th 1944.
- Description: An abandoned 4th City of London Yeomanry Stuart V Light tank, a relic of the June 13th battle between the 7th Armoured Division and German Panzer units, lies in the ruins of the deserted town. Lorries carrying the 7th Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment roll into Villers-Bocage, in company with the rest of 176th Brigade which proceeds to consolidate 59th Division's hold on the derelict site.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-04
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Gross, A C (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Corps 12 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 59 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 197 (regiment/service) British Army, Norfolk Regiment, 7th Battalion (regiment/service)
- Keywords: transport, United States military - truck: Fordson 3-ton 4x4 (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Normandy, France (geography) Villers-Bocage, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 93 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Note: See A70 111-5, 112-5 and 6, 113-4, 6, 7, 15, 18 and 19, 116-6, 118-3 and 4, 124-1, 2, 3 and 6, 126-8, 10 and 11 for footage showing 12th Corps' formations in action near Villers- Bocage, in the Orne bridge-head at Goupillieres and during the advance towards Falaise. Refer also to A70 113-23 for footage which includes shots of destroyed 'Desert Rats' vehicles near Villers-Bocage. Remarks: Best seen with A70 113-4, which contains similar footage, and with the items of ciné material listed above. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 111-5 and 113-4.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: