53RD (WELSH) DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION "PHEASANT" - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Title: 53RD (WELSH) DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION "PHEASANT" - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 182-7
- Other titles:
- Summary: 71st Brigade encounters small German outposts during its advance along the Heesch-s'Hertogenbosch - s'Hertogenbosch road towards s'Hertogenbosch.
- Description: With their hands on their heads, four Wehrmacht soldiers begin their march into captivity watched by infantrymen from the 1st Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and escorted by sappers serving with 244th Field Company RE who follow behind them in a jeep. A 25- pounder gun detachment from the 81st Field Regiment RA is seen in action near the Heesch-s'Hertogenbosch - s'Hertogenbosch road against German outposts delaying the brigade's progress near Molebroek(?). A column of German prisoners of war marches through Nuland(?) under the watchful eye of their British captors. Two 222nd Assault Squadron RE Churchill AVREs move up to the front between Nuland and Heide. The cameraman examines the corpse of a young Wehrmacht infantryman killed near his dug-out in a drainage ditch at the edge of a field near Varkenshoek(?). Nearby, an Ox and Bucks Bren-gunner open fire on a German position from a slit-trench on an embanked section of the s'Hertogenbosch road(?).
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-23
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Parkinson (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 176 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-6, 183-5, 6, 12, 14, 186-2 for footage showing 53rd (Welsh) Division in action during Operation Pheasant and refer to footage showing the 7th Armoured and 51st (Highland) Divisions similarly engaged. The capture of s'Hertogenbosch, in which the 7th Armoured and 51st (Highland) and 53rd (Welsh) Divisions were all involved, was code-named Operation "Colin". Remarks: Good action footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above. Documentation/associated material: read The History of the 53rd (Welsh) Division in the Second World War by C N Barclay, 2nd Army HQ's An Account of the Operations of 2nd Army in Europe 1944-1945: Volume I, H Essame's The Battle for Germany' and L F Ellis' Victory in the West: Volume 2.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: