VARIOUS SHOTS; SCENES AT ADVANCE DIVISION HQ; CONVOY AT BONE HARBOUR; CONVOY-VOYAGE AND DISEMBARKATION; VARIOUS HIGH OFFICERS AT ADVANCE HQ 78TH DIVISION; SHOTS IN SEDJENANE; MATEUR SECTOR, INFANTRY AND ARTILLERY POSITIONS; MATEUR SECTOR, LIGHT ARTILLERY AND WEST KENTS [Allocated Title]
- Title: VARIOUS SHOTS; SCENES AT ADVANCE DIVISION HQ; CONVOY AT BONE HARBOUR; CONVOY-VOYAGE AND DISEMBARKATION; VARIOUS HIGH OFFICERS AT ADVANCE HQ 78TH DIVISION; SHOTS IN SEDJENANE; MATEUR SECTOR, INFANTRY AND ARTILLERY POSITIONS; MATEUR SECTOR, LIGHT ARTILLERY AND WEST KENTS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 285/1-3
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Air activity near Tebourba, Tunisia on 30 November and a conference of senior officers. Activity at Bône and Algiers harbours. Action in the Mateur Sector, Tunisia.
- Description: AYY 285/1. German planes bombing, Spitfires in pursuit. Messerschmitts patrolling and Stukas divebombing. Lightening. French commanders at Advance Division HQ, 78th Division. "S D" on their arms stands for Special Detachment. They shave after returning from a raid. Weapons visible are a Sten gun, knife and American cosh. 2 December. 11th Brigade at 78th Division HQ. A camouflaged truck. Army leaders are present for a conference, they are: Major General Eveleigh, Commander 78th Division; General Oliver, Commander 1st Armoured Division, USA; General Anderson, First Army Commander; General Allfrey, Commander 5th Corps and Brigadier Wedderburn Maxwell. General Anderson returns to the front in his armoured car. General Allfrey and Brigadier Maxwell with Colonel Ferguson, Commander 2nd Anti-Tank Regiment. AYY 285/2. 8 December. The troopship «Maloja» at Bône harbour. A damaged British destroyer in the harbour and damaged buildings. 7 December. Boats in convoy in Algiers harbour. A twin funnel liner passing a destroyer. Troops on the deck of the «Maloja» and another troopship. Troops disembark. Men are carried off the «Maloja» on stretchers and into a waiting ambulance. Men coming down the gangway. Kit bags are thrown down. AYY 285/3. 3 December. General Allfrey arrives in his armoured car from the front. General Evelegh with Group Captain Falconer, RAF. They discuss plans for an attack on enemy aerodromes. Also present are Brigadier Pepper, Captain Randolph Churchill and General Barrett, Commander-in-Chief of French forces in Tunisia. The Field Cash Office at Rear Divisional HQ. 5 December. Noticeboard at Sedjenane. Streets and disused station. Distribution of replacement kit to men of the 6th Commandos before returning to the line. Haircutting. A reconnaissance party of the 138 Field Regiment looking for suitable sites for their 25 pounders on the Mateur sector. Infantry positions held by the 6th Commandos. Hills showing enemy positions, full of machine gun posts. Trenches or pits in the Mateur sector. The 456 Light Artillery Battery of 3.7 Howitzers in action, firing at suspected ammunition dumps. Positions held by the 6th Royal West Kent Regiment. Men digging slit trenches. Men at rest. Major Lovell, Second-in-Command, Captain Defraites and Captain Scott at the command post. A Bren gunner from the Royal West Kents who personally shot down a Messerschmitt at Tebourba.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1942-12-01
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Meyer (Sergeant) (Production individual) Gunn, J F (Production individual) Lupson (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Evelegh, Vyvyan (person) Anderson, Kenneth Arthur Noel (person) Allfrey, Charles Walter (person) Churchill, Randolph Frederick Edward Spencer (person) British Army, 78th Division (regiment/service) British Army, Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment, 6th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, 138th Field Regiment (regiment/service) British Army, No 6 Commando (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, 456th Light Battery (regiment/service) Royal Air Force (regiment/service) Free French Army (regiment/service) German Air Force (Third Reich) (regiment/service) Civilian Vessels, MALOJA (SS), passenger liner (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Bone, Algeria (geography) Tebourba, Tunisia (geography) Sedjenane, Tunisia (geography) Algiers, Algeria (geography) North Africa 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 1184 ft; Running time: 12 mins
- Notes: Sergeant Meyers notes the difficulty of getting better shots due to his proximity to enemy snipers on the Mateur front.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: