HM KING GEORGE VI VISITS THE NORMANDY BEACHHEAD (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: HM KING GEORGE VI VISITS THE NORMANDY BEACHHEAD (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 49-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage to Sergeant Johnson's material of HM King George VI's brief visit to the Normandy beach-head, concentrating on the investiture ceremony held at Montgomery's HQ at Creully.
- Description: Assisted by Major-General de Guingand, 21st Army Group Chief of Staff, the King decorates Major Keller, GOC 3rd Canadian Division, and officers and NCOs serving in Montgomery's staff. Attending the ceremony apart from Montgomery himself are Lieutenant-General Dempsey, 2nd Army commander, and the Allied Naval commander for the Normandy landings, Admiral Ramsay. A Movietone cine cameraman and two AFPU stills and cine cameramen can be seen recording the occasion. Men serving with 21st Army Group HQ's defence company and staff give three cheers for the King before he and Montgomery inspect them on parade.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-16
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Johnson, John Norman (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Schonland (Brigadier) (person) De Guingand, Francis W (person) Dempsey, Miles Christopher (person) George VI, King (person) Keller (Major-General) (person) Montgomery, Bernard Law (person) Ramsay, Bertram Home (person) Canadian Army, Div, Canadian, 3 (regiment/service) British Army, Army 2 (regiment/service) British Army, Army Film and Photographic Unit (regiment/service) British Army, Army Gp 21 (regiment/service) Royal Navy (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ceremonies, British - event-related: inspection (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: investiture (object name) delegations, British international - state: George VI visits Normandy troops (object name) journalism and record, British - cameraman: Movietone (object name) journalism and record, British - cameraman: AFPU (object name) journalism and record, British - photographer: AFPU (object name) France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 166 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 49-1 which contains complementary footage. Summary: see with A70 34-1, 40-1, 45-1 to 5, 46-10, 11, 49-1, 57-11 for footage showing VIP visits to the Normandy beachhead; for coverage of the Royal Navy aspect of the King's visit see ADM 1277.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: