15TH (SCOTTISH) DIVISION ADVANCES WITH 12TH CORPS' TO THE LOWER SEINE (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: 15TH (SCOTTISH) DIVISION ADVANCES WITH 12TH CORPS' TO THE LOWER SEINE (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 140-6
- Other titles:
- Summary: An unsuccessful attempt is made by the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders to cross the Seine near Le Mesnil-Ande on August 27th 1944.
- Description: Shells fired by 227th Brigade's supporting artillery fall on German positions in open fields around Le Mesnil-Ande; a little further downstream are the remains of a railway bridge over the river which was probably destroyed by Allied bombing before D- Day. From high ground on the south bank, a 1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment Vickers machine-gun team fires on German positions across the river. A section from the Gordon Highlanders' 'D' company waits its turn to board a storm boat in among bushes on the south bank; with grim expressions, the infantrymen set off towards the river's edge. Casualties are taken away for treatment on an ambulance jeep. Tracer shot wings its way from a 40th LAA Regiment RA Bofors gun to German positions along the north bank of the Seine as dusk falls. Next day, an Austin K5 three-tonner and a 4th Brigade HQ Weasel amphibious carrier move up towards the river.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-27
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Gordon, J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Gordon Highlanders, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 227 (regiment/service) British Army, Middlesex Regiment, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Div 15 (regiment/service) British Army, Armoured Bde 4 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 12 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Army Medical Corps (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, United States - amphibious: M29C Weasel (object name) weapons, British - smallarm: Vickers medium machine gun (object name) operations, Allied military - movement: river crossing (object name) transport, United States military - utility: jeep (object name) combat, British - artillery bombardment (object name) Seine (River), France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 288 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Note: See with A70 140-1, 2, 3, 141-2, 4, 143-8, 9, 145-6, 7, 10, 146-5, 6, 152-1, 2, 155-2 to 7 for footage showing 12th Corps' advance from Normandy across the Seine to northern Belgium late August - early September 1944. Refer generally to footage showing 30th Corps' assault across the Seine further upstream at Vernon, a much larger operation which also had its difficult moments. Remarks: Good action footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 140-1, 2 and 3 (which contains similar sequences showing the assault across the Seine). Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 140-1 and 2 and read 'The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) 1919-1952' by Lieutenant-Commander Kemp (RN).
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: