THE 43RD (WESSEX) DIVISION IN ACTION ON 30TH CORPS' FRONT IN THE 'BOCAGE' [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 43RD (WESSEX) DIVISION IN ACTION ON 30TH CORPS' FRONT IN THE 'BOCAGE' [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 113-22
- Other titles:
- Summary: Units serving with the 43rd (Wessex) Division enter the comparatively untouched village of Le Mesnil-Auzouf on the Caen-Vire N177 highway.
- Description: A Sherman ARV (8th Armoured Brigade or 43rd Division REME) and a motorcycle despatch rider roll into Le Mesnil-Auzouf which, judging by the presence of some of its inhabitants, has managed to escape serious loss during the fighting. Three carriers from the 8th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, 43rd Division's machine-gun battalion, overtake infantry from the 7th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry marching in single file through the village towards Montamy a mile further down the N177. A 1st Assault Brigade RE Churchill AVRE, named "Liverpool" by its crew, provides 214th Brigade with some armoured support.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-05
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Carpenter, L (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Div 43 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 30 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Engineers (regiment/service) British Army, Div, Armoured, 79 (regiment/service) British Army, Middlesex Regiment, 8th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Somerset Light Infantry, 7th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 214 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, United States - funnies: M4 Sherman ARV & [British] (object name) weapons, British - projector: PIAT (object name) armour, British - funnies: Churchill AVRE (object name) armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Le Mesnil-Auzouf, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 93 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Note: See A70 105-3, 4 and 5, 107-6, 7, 8 and 9, 109-6, 113-17 and 25, 115-1, 2 and 3 and 116-9 for footage showing the 43rd (Wessex) Division in action during "Bluecoat" culminating in the capture of Mont Pincon. Churchill AVREs, like the one seen here, were often used (or abused) by infantry formations for armour support where their Petard mortars were used to blast gaps through hedgerows. Remarks: Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 109-6 and 113-17, which feature similar footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 105-3 and 4.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: