THE 43RD (WESSEX) DIVISION CROSSES THE SEINE AGAINST SHERMAN OPPOSITION [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 43RD (WESSEX) DIVISION CROSSES THE SEINE AGAINST SHERMAN OPPOSITION [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 136-10
- Other titles:
- Summary: A sustained barrage of high explosive shells and machine- gun fire is directed onto German machine-gun and mortar positions hindering both 129th Brigade's progress on the north bank of the Seine and attempts made by Royal Engineers to span the river with a Class 9 bridge.
- Description: A Vickers machine-gun team belonging to the 8th Battalion Middlesex Regiment's 'A' company and a Cromwell tank from the 15/19th Hussars' 'C' squadron, using both its main armament and coaxial Besa machine-gun, bombard German positions on the north bank opposite Vernon.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-26
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Grant, Ian James1917-04-16Family origin: Edinburgh, Scotland (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Hussars, 15/19 (regiment/service) British Army, Div, Armoured, 11 (regiment/service) British Army, Middlesex Regiment, 8th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Div 43 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 30 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - tank: Cromwell (object name) weapons, British - smallarm: Vickers medium machine gun (object name) Vernon, Eure, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 90 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Note: See with A70 135-3, 4 and 5, 136-9, 11 and 12, 139-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, 140-5, 141-3, and 142-6, 7 and 9 for footage showing 30th Corps crossing of the Seine at Vernon. The 15/19th Hussars, 11th Armoured Division's reconnaissance regiment had its 'C' squadron detachment from the regiment's main body and the rest of the division to assist 43rd Division's Seine crossing Remarks: Good action footage. Best seen with items listed above, notably A70 136-9. Documentation/associated material: read 'The 43rd Wessex Division at War 1944-1945' by H Essame, Major-General Pakenham-Walsh's 'The History of the Corps of Royal Engineers : Volume IX', 2nd Army HQ's 'The Account of the Operations of the 2nd Army in Europe 1944-1945 : Volume 1.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: