THE 15TH (SCOTTISH) DIVISION ADVANCES TOWARDS TILBURG DURING OPERATION PHEASANT (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 15TH (SCOTTISH) DIVISION ADVANCES TOWARDS TILBURG DURING OPERATION PHEASANT (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 183-4
- Other titles:
- Summary: Advancing parallel to the Wilhelmina Canal along the Oirschot - Tilburg road, the 6th Guards Tank Brigade and the 46th Brigade spearhead 12th Corps push on Tilburg.
- Description: On the outskirts of Moergestel, universal carriers from the 15th Recce, Regiment and a Stuart VI light tank from the 3rd Tank Battalion Scots Guards across the Aa river over a bridge laid by a 6th Guards Tank Brigade HQ Churchill Bridgelayer in company with infantrymen from the 2nd Battalion Glasgow Highlanders who are also seen crossing the stream over an improvised walkway. Helpful Dutch civilians are seen busy preparing the site of the old bridge demolished by the retreating Germans for the construction of a Bailey bridge; also visible is a Churchill tank from the Scots Guards' Right Flank squadron well and truly stuck in the river bed. Motorised infantry and reconnaissance detachments from the 7th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and the 15th Recce. Regiment head through Moergestel past its cheering inhabitants to seize river and canal crossings for 15th (Scottish) Division's advance on Tilburg; seen providing the Seaforth Highlanders with transport are Ram Kangaroo APCs from the 1st Canadian APC Regiment.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-25
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Johnson, John Norman (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 198 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 183-8, 16, 184-4, 185-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, for footage showing 15th (Scottish) in action during Operation Pheasant for the capture of Tilburg and refer to ciné material showing other 12th Corps formations in action in s'Hertogenbosch and on the Afwaterings Canal - River Maas line during the same period. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 183-8, which contains complementary, similar footage. Documentation/associated material: read The History of the 15th (Scottish) Division 1939-1945 by Lit General H G Martin 2nd Army HQs An Account of the Operations of 2nd Army in Europe 1944-1945 Volume 1, P Forbes 6th Guards Tank Brigade. The Story of Guardsmen in Churchill Tanks, Battle for Antwerp by J L Moulton.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: