FIGHTING ON THE MEUSE-ESCAUT CANAL LINE IN NORTHERN BELGIUM [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: FIGHTING ON THE MEUSE-ESCAUT CANAL LINE IN NORTHERN BELGIUM [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 160-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: 30th Corps prepares its formations for Operation 'Garden'.
- Description: Gunners belonging to the 55th Field Regiment's 439th Battery RA open fire with their 25-pounder gun during a 'softening-up' bombardment on units of the 1st Parachute Army defending the Meuse-Escaut canal line and territory north of the de Groote Barrier bridgehead. Sappers repair the worn wooden parquet surface of the German built trestle bridge (Joe's Bridge) over the Meuse-Escaut canal as units from 50th Division's 231st Brigade file into the de Groote Barrier bridgehead; simultaneously units of the Guards Armoured Division march southward out of the salient they had won.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-09-15
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Ginger (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) British Army, Guards Armoured Division (regiment/service) British Army, Div 50 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 30 (regiment/service) British Army, Infantry Bde 231 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: weapons, - gun: 25-pounder field gun (object name) armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) engineering, military, German: wooden trestle bridge & [captured] (object name) combat, British - artillery bombardment (object name) Meuse-Escaut Junction (Canal), Belgium (geography) Belgium (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 163 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: See with A70 162-2, 3 and 6, 163-1, 2, 3, 164-5 and 6, 165-1, 2, 4 and 10 and 169-3 for footage showing the Guards Armoured Division advancing from the Meuse-Escaut canal line in northern Belgium to the "Island" beyond Nijmegen during Operation "Garden". Refer also to "Market" footage. Remarks: Good shots of 25-pounder gun detachment in action. Sequence taken of troops moving over 'Joe's Brigade' slightly over-exposed. Best seen with items listed above. Documentation/associated material: read 'A Bridge Too Far' by Cornelius Ryan and 'The Story of the Guards Armoured Division 1941-45' by Captain the Earl of Rosse and Colonel Hill.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: