- Title: WAR PICTORIAL NEWS NO 141 - AMERICAN VARIANT [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: WPN 291
- Other titles:
- Summary: An edition of the British official newsreel "War Pictorial News", produced by the Ministry of Information, Middle East aimed at an American audience (most likely US Forces).
- Description: I. 'GUNNERS OF HINDUSTAN.' This item duplicates Item I of WPN 141. II. 'RUSSIA.' This item duplicates Item IV of WPN 141. III. 'GLIDER TROOPS PREPARE FOR AIRBORNE INVASION.' Panoramic footage shows Waco CG-4A troop carrying gliders parked on a runway (South East United States ?). A hawser is attached to the towing mechanism on a United States Army Air Force (USAAF) Douglas C-47 Skytrain glider tractor (tug) which then takes off, pulling a CG-4A glider into the air (the tractor aircraft may be a Douglas C-53 Skytrooper which is virtually indistinguishable from the C-47 apart from its smaller entry door and wooden deck flooring). A C-47 takes off to camera towing two CG-4A gliders. Ground to air views shows large numbers of gliders and their C-47 tractor aircraft flying overhead. A C-47 tractor aircraft releases its towing hawser. CG-4A gliders raise dust on landing during (air-landing) military exercises held in an unidentified Southern US state. Brief footage shows USAAF commander, General Henry H Arnold watching CG-4A gliders landing on water in swampland. A CG-4A makes a perfect landing on water, the pilots of following gliders flare their aircraft too early and hit the water hard. US air-landing troops wade through swamps carrying M1.30-inch carbines. CG-4A "Dallas Doll" comes in to land. IV. 'LATEST FILMS OF WAR IN THE PACIFIC.' Brief footage shows United States Navy (USN) Admiral Chester W Nimitz seated in his office. A map shows the Central Pacific area of operations. Exterior footage shows the jungle headquarters (Solomon Islands) of USN Admiral William F Halsey which appears to have been constructed out of bamboo. Interior footage shows Halsey receiving a message from Rear-Admiral Wilkinson USN. Brief aerial footage shows a USN Grumman J2F Duck general utility amphibian aircraft in flight. United States Marine Corps (USMC) LVT-2 (Landing Vehicle Tracked) Water Buffalo amphibious load carrier "Michigan Wolverine" drives out of the sea and up a beach during the US attack on the Gilbert and Ellice Islands. USMC troops disembark into surf from an LVT-2 amphibian. USN Construction Battalion (CB-"Sea Bees") caterpillar tractor (with bulldozer blade) pulls a stalled Willys HB GP Jeep from the surf. A USMC detachment moves inland.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-01-17
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information, Middle East (Production sponsor) War Pictorial News (Production company) Martin, Charles (Production individual) Keating, Rex1910-02-142005-01British newsreel commentator, WW2 period (Production cast)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Arnold, Henry H (person) Nimitz, Chester William (person) Halsey, William F (person) Wilkinson, Theodore Stark (person)
- Keywords: operations, United States military - preparation (object name) operations, United States military - amphibious (object name) casualties, Japanese dead - battlefield (object name) Gilbert and Ellice Islands (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: Arabic
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 956 ft; Running time: 10 mins
- Notes: Summary: items III and IV have an American commentary. This issue was presumably assembled by the WPN team for exhibition to US forces in the Middle East in the absence of a complete US newsreel.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
UNY 79 (UNITED NEWS [Series Title])