MOTORISED INFANTRY AND ARMOUR IN ACTION DURING 51ST (HIGHLAND) DIVISION'S ADVANCE TOWARDS S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
- Title: MOTORISED INFANTRY AND ARMOUR IN ACTION DURING 51ST (HIGHLAND) DIVISION'S ADVANCE TOWARDS S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 183-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage of the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and the East Riding Yeomanry's progress towards Boxtel.
- Description: Filming from a moving 1st Canadian APC Regiment (?), the cameraman watches a haystack (?) on fire in a farming hamlet. Wounded Fallschirmjäger troops taken prisoner in a brief skirmish are helped onto a Kangaroo manned by a section from 174th Field Ambulance RAMC. A Firefly tank from the ERY's 'C' squadron leaves the road to take up a flanking position to deal with opposition further along the road (?); riflemen 'de-bus' from their Kangaroos to deal with the German roadblock. Another wounded Fallschirmjäger prisoner is wheeled to safety on a bicycle by an RAMC captain and a fellow Fallschirmjäger medical orderly. The motorised infantry and armour column continues its advance; among the AFVs seen in the procession are a Firefly and a Humber scout car from the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry and an M5 half-track OP from the 126th Field Regiment RA. Armour and infantry detachments advance along the Veghel-Boxtel single-track railway line, enter a hamlet (Langenberg?) ravaged by British artillery and move on through a nearby wood. The camera examines road sign at the Langenberg (?) road junction east of Boxtel.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-23
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Seaholme, G (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 172 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-5, 183-1, 7, 10, 17, 184-6, 186-2, 186-3, 197-3, 5, 189-6, 190-2, 3, 192-7 for footage showing 51st (Highland) Division in action during Operation Pheasant and refer to ciné material showing 7th Armoured and 53rd (Welsh) Division similarly engaged. The Ram Kangaroo APC = a Canadian-built medium tank with its 57mm gun turret removed to accommodate 2 crew and 11 infantrymen. Remarks: Good action footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 183-1 which contains complementary, similar footage. Documentation/associated material: Refer to the publications listed in A70 182-5 and 183-1 for a bibliography.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: