WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET 335-2 (Spanish version, fragment) [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET 335-2 (Spanish version, fragment) [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 697a
- Other titles:
- Summary: I. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on French troops leading Austro-Hungarian prisoners of war through rear area villages on the Italian Front, January 1918. II. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on Sir Edward Kemp, Canada's Minister of Militia, working at his desk and in profile against a window, January 1918. III. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on US Ambassador Walter Page opening a YMCA for US officers in London, January 1918. IV. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on snow conditions in Flanders, showing the cameraman's car stuck in a snowdrift, and soldiers having a snowball fight, Western Front, January 1918.
- Description: The French soldiers lead a long line of prisoners along the road; Italian women and old men come out of their houses to watch as the column passes. One village has a signpost on the wall showing that Asola is nearby. A pan over a group of the prisoners. The caption states that Kemp has announced that a new army of 100,000 Canadian soldiers will shortly be joining in the fight on the Western Front. Page arrives by car, talks to the people outside the building, then walks inside.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918-01-26
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Department of Information (Production sponsor) War Office Cinema Committee (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Kemp, Edward (person) Page, Walter Hines (person) French Army (regiment/service) Young Men's Christian Association (regiment/service) British Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: prisoners of war, Austro-Hungarian - movement (object name) recreation, British military - casual: snowball fight (object name) journalism and record, British - cameraman (object name) 01/3(45).8 (event) 31/3(71) (event) 31/3(41) (event) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) Italy & Asola area, Lombardy (geography) Canada (geography) GB, England & London (?) <US YMCA> (geography) Belgium (geography) half-light (concept) Winter (concept) snow (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: Spanish
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 258 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: Production: see IWM 651a for production details Summary: note that an English language version of stories II, III and IV only of this issue is held as IWM 672b and a further copy of IV is IWM 1061-09c. An additional story, not duplicated elsewhere, is IWM 1061-09a Technical: this fragment is currently held on the same reel as IWM 697b, IWM 697c and IWM 697d, the can is marked as IWM 697.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: