TROOPS IN SICILY; ENTERTAINMENT FOR TROOPS ON AN INVASION SHIP [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: TROOPS IN SICILY; ENTERTAINMENT FOR TROOPS ON AN INVASION SHIP [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 500-8-9
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Scenes after the invasion of Sicily. The 1st Battalion, London Scottish entertain troops on board a Polish trooper on convoy to Sicily. Men of the 168th Brigade (1st Battalion London Scottish and 1st London Irish) assemble for a final inspection of equipment on their Polish troop ship before invading Sicily.
- Description: Close up of man lying on the ground. Men probing for mines. Close up of a wounded Italian soldier lying on the ground being helped by another Italian. Close up of an American soldier guarding prisoners. Pan to prisoners lined up. Close up of an Italian officer. Scorpion tank moving up the beach with LCT in the background. Soldier on landing craft. Four officers on the landing craft smile for the camera. 13 July. A damaged Italian submarine at Syracuse harbour. A dead Italian sailor on the bridge of the submarine. Pan to a dead Italian sailor on the deck. View of the coast at night. Man on landing craft. Ships moving towards the coast at night. Silhouette of American soldiers at a gun. Bursts in the water. Pan to ship in the water. Landing craft by the beach. Men leaving the landing craft LCT 179. Three pipers playing to men relaxing on board. Close up of Pipe Major C Turnbull, Senior Pipe Major of the British Army. Piper Lord (from London) dances the Sword Dance for the men. Panning shot down to the crossed swords. Men of the 168th Brigade cleaning guns and equipment on board the Polish trooper. Close up of men cleaning Bren guns. The platoon sergeant calls the men on parade. The men falling in and standing to attention. Close up of the men’s faces.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-12 1943-07-13
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Rodwell, K (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Turnbull, C (person) Lord (Piper) (person) British Army, London Scottish Regiment, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, London Irish Regiment, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) United States Army (regiment/service) Italian Army (regiment/service) Italian Navy, BRONZO (RS) (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Syracuse, Sicily, Italy (geography) Italy 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 420 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: Summary: the first few shots are not listed on the dope sheet.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: