- Title: BATTLE OF RANGOON - LOW-LEVEL HEAVY BOMBING BY RAF LIBERATORS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 102
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: RAF Liberators bomb defences in support of amphibious landings against Rangoon, Burma.
- Description: Aerial footage of Spitfires in the distance. Distant shot of landing craft heading ashore. Barges coming ashore. Supporting vessels out at sea. A meander on the River Irrawaddy. Air-to-air footage of escorting RAF Thunderbolt fighters. Irrawaddy with cloud. An RAF Consolidated Liberator heavy bomber in the distance. Murky shot of a river mouth with vessels offshore. White smoke drifting. Distant shot of the Irrawaddy with drifting smoke. Low-altitude bombing of defences near Rangoon; bombs fall away from the aircraft and shrink into the distance. A few seconds later they explode with large shockwaves from the explosions clearly visible. Looking back at smoke drifting from the target area as the aircraft flies away. Distant shot of the Irrawaddy. Shots of landing craft. Shot from a distance offshore of the coastline. Thickening cloud over the river. A marshy area. Air-to-air of a Liberator over clouds. A river meander. Cloudscape. Liberator engines; tilt down to river below.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-05-02
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Elsee (Pilot Officer) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force, 355 Squadron (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, 356 Squadron (regiment/service) Air Command South East Asia, Eastern Air Command, Strategic Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Irrawaddy (River), Burma (geography) Rangoon, Burma (geography) Liberation of Rangoon 1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Bomber operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 447 ft; Running time: 5 minutes
- Notes: Apart from the very good view of bombs exploding, this film rather murky and unexciting. These attacks on Japanese gun positions near Rangoon were carried out by 16 Liberators drawn from RAF 355 Squadron and RAF 356 Squadron. Two dopesheets for this film with conflicting dates. Date above likely to be closer of the two to the shooting date for this footage.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 202 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON BY 26TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 203 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON BY 26TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 204 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON BY 26TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 205 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON BY 26TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 224 (SEABORNE LANDING AT RANGOON BY 36TH INDIAN INFANTRY BRIGADE [Allocated Title]) JIN 50 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON - MUDDY LANDING GROUNDS [Allocated Title]) JIN 55 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON - TROOPS GREETED BY CIVILIANS AT RANGOON DOCKS [Allocated Title]) JIN 51 (AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT RANGOON - CHRISTISON AND CHAMBERS ADDRESS THE TROOPS [Allocated Title]) JIN 52 (OPERATION DRACULA: BRITISH TROOPS GO ASHORE NEAR RANGOON [Allocated Title])