GERMAN PRISONERS FROM THE 'LEIBSTANDARTE ADOLF HITLER' [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: GERMAN PRISONERS FROM THE 'LEIBSTANDARTE ADOLF HITLER' [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 92-6
- Other titles:
- Summary: Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS prisoners captured during Operation "Goodwood" are searched and interrogated by Intelligence officers at a 1st Corps POW cage before being sent to more permanent POW locations.
- Description: Under the watchful eye of three Military Policemen, all armed with sten-guns, a small group of Wehrmacht and SS prisoners have their pockets emptied and their papers and possessions examined. Most of the Waffen-SS prisoners, former members of the 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler", appear to be very young, between 17 and 20 years old; one particular SS-man, a youthful Oberschutz (Lance-corporal) is very restless. His attitude is contrasted by that of an SS-panzerman who helps a sergeant and lieutenant in the Intelligence Corps point out German positions around Banneville-la-Campagne on a map showing the countryside east of Caen.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-20
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Harris, L W J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Corps 1 (regiment/service) British Army, Intelligence Corps (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Military Police (regiment/service) German Army, Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (regiment/service)
- Keywords: prisoners of war, German - reception (object name) armour, British - smallarm: Sten gun (object name) 01/5(4-16).233 [ Operation Goodwood] (event) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 397 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: Note: Refer to A70 101-1 for prisoners-of-war footage and in general to "Goodwood" footage. The Wehrmacht prisoners seen here served either in the 21st Panzer Division or the 711th or 346th Infantry Divisions, all of which went into action against 1st and 8th Corps during "Goodwood". One entire battalion in the 1st SS Panzer Division was wiped out in Bras on July 19th by 7th Armoured Division units. Remarks: Good shots of prisoners being interrogated, especially of the young SS panzerman as he helps a British Intelligence officer pin-point German positions east of Caen. It would seem from this footage that not even the elite Waffen-SS formations could instil notions of security consciousness among all its members. Documentation/associated material: read 'The History of the 2nd World War - Victory in the West : Volume 1' by L F Ellis.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: