BRITISH MILITARY TRAFFIC COPES WITH FLOODS ON THE ROADS IN NORMANDY (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: BRITISH MILITARY TRAFFIC COPES WITH FLOODS ON THE ROADS IN NORMANDY (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 92-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage of military traffic coping with poor road conditions in the Odon valley after the July 20th rainstorm.
- Description: Vehicles from 43rd (Wessex) Division, 34th Tank Brigade and 3rd AGRA units negotiate a pot-holed and partly-flooded road at Marcelet while 5.5-inch guns from a 3rd AGRA medium regiment bombard German positions opposite 12th Corps from gun lines nearby; among the vehicles seen here are a CMP water truck and a CMP water trailer from 179th Field Regiment RA and 4th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry respectively, a Humber scout car ("Sergeant Murphy") from 153rd RAC's HQ, a jeep, a Humber light ambulance and a Bedford QL lorry from 129th Field Ambulance RAMC, a captured BMW motorcycle combination (which gets stuck and has to be helped clear) a jeep from 13th Medium Regiment RA, an Albion six-wheeled 3-tonner from an unspecified 43rd Division unit, CMP 3-tonners from 504th and 505th Companies RASC, a Scammell heavy breakdown tractor ("Liberator") and an M5 half-track ("Resper") from 107th and 153rd Battalions RAC respectively, an AEC Matador tractor and a Bedford QLB tractor from 72nd Medium and 110th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiments RA.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-21
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Watkins, R V (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 171 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: For footage showing traffic coping with the Calvados region's over-worked road network, see A70 63-3, 5, 65-2, 71-6, 7, 79-3, 7, 8, 84-1, 90-3, 92-2, 4, 5. Refer generally to footage showing 12th Corps' formations in action in the Odon valley in July 1944. The captured BMW motorcycle combination seen here has markings that denote it as belonging to the 9th Battalion Dorset Regiment (3) Remarks: Good shots of all the vehicles itemised in the synopsis. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 92-2 which contains complementary, almost identical footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 90-3.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: