REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE INVASION OF NORMANDY (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE INVASION OF NORMANDY (PART 3) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 35-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: For troops belonging to the 51st (Highland) Division and other units landing in the wake of the assault formations, the voyage to the Normandy beaches assumes the air of an over-subscribed bank holiday day trip to Boulogne.
- Description: I. A Church of England padre from No 23 or 25 Airfield Construction Group holds a service for a congregation of troops on board the Liberty ship Samarovsk anchored in the Thames estuary. A merchant seaman officer and an army officer gaze at shipping belonging to Force 'L' moored in the estuary. Men from notably the 4th Royal Horse Artillery or 5th AGRA troops, the Black Watch, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and 51st (Highland) Divisional artillery have a meal consisting of bread and margarine and tinned food and read the official invasion booklet on France and General Eisenhower's proclamation to Allied troops participating in the Normandy invasion. II. The cameraman surveys the activity in the waters off 'Juno' Beach at Bernieres-sur-Mer; US Navy LST 395 steams towards 'Nan' Beach with a deck cargo of ambulances while numerous smaller craft - LCMs, LCAs, LCI(S)s - can be seen together with barrage balloons flying over the anchorage.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Waterhouse, A C (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Bde 152 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 1 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 51 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Engineers (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Samarovsk (regiment/service)
- Keywords: aircraft, British - balloon: barrage balloon (object name) recreation, British military - casual (object name) religion, Chrisitianity - military, British: service onboard liberty ship (object name) ships, British auxiliary - cargo: Samarovsk (liberty ship) (object name) society, British military - sustenance (object name) Operation Overlord, Second World War (event) Thames Estuary, Thames (River), England, UK (geography) Juno Beach, Bernières-sur-Mer, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 194 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: see with A70 35-2, 36-3, 4, for footage showing the Highland Division leaving England and arriving off Normandy on D+1. Part I of the synopsis was filmed on 5/6/1944, part II on 7/6/1944. Normandy was the Highland Division's third invasion after Sicily and Italy; refer generally to footage showing the division in action in the Orne bridgehead where it reinforced the 6th Airborne Division. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 35-2 and 36-4 which include similar, complementary footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 35-2.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: