7TH ARMOURED DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION PHEASANT - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Title: 7TH ARMOURED DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION PHEASANT - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 182-9
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage of infantry and armoured units participating in the first stages of 7th Armoured Division's advance towards s'Hertogenbosch along the north bank of the Zuidwillemsvaart canal.
- Description: A Challenger tank from the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars' 'A' squadron moves up towards Laar (?) past a parked Sherman tank (OP tank?). Two universal carriers from the 1/5th Battalion Queen's Regiment's support company are seen halted outside woods masking the battalion's objective where Churchill Crocodiles are in action - hence the smoke seen rising in the background. Two Sherman Crabs from the Westminster Dragoons 'B' squadron 'flail' a section of the road leading into Laar. Two Churchill Crocodiles from the 141st RAC's 'C' squadron move forward into the attack. A Sherman command OP or rear-link tank moves past a burning house. A Cromwell from the 8th Hussars turns its co-axial Besa machine-gun onto a German machine-gun post outside Laar. Two Queen's riflemen dash forward under fire. A Churchill Crocodile opens fire with its co-axial Besa machine gun before going into action with its flame-thrower in woodland outside the village where snipers are hidden. Two medical orderlies and a rifleman make a casualty comfortable on his stretcher before taking him away to the RAP.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-22
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Johnson, John Norman (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 182 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-8, 11, 183-12, 184-6, 187-2, 4, 189-2, 3, 192-1 for footage showing 7th Armoured Division in action during Operation Pheasant and refer to footage showing 51st (Highland) and 53rd (Welsh) Divisions similarly engaged. The Westminster Dragoons 'B' squadron was deployed with its No. 1 troop with the Desert Rats, No. 2 troop with the 53rd Division and No. 3 troop in Corps service. Remarks: Good action footage. best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 182-8 which contains complementary, virtually identical footage. Documentation/associated material: In addition to the publications listed in A70 182-8 for a bibliography read The Story of The Westminster Dragoons in North-West Europe from June 6th 1944 to May 8th 1945 by the Regiment.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: