HM KING GEORGE VI VISITS THE NORMANDY BEACHHEAD (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: HM KING GEORGE VI VISITS THE NORMANDY BEACHHEAD (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 49-1
- Other titles:
- Summary: King George VI visits troops on the Normandy beaches.
- Description: HM King George VI and Admiral Ramsay, Allied Naval Commander Expeditionary Force, come ashore at 'Mike Green' Beach at Graye-sur-Mer on a 297th GT Company RASC DUKW. The King is met by General Montgomery; in the background can be seen personnel from the Juno Beach party, including its commander, Captain Maude RN HM and Montgomery arrive at 21st Army Group HQ at Creully in Montgomery's own staff car. After lunch, an investiture ceremony is held in the headquarters' grounds in which the King assisted by Major-General de Guingand decorates Major Keller, GOC 3rd Canadian Division, and officers and NCOs attached to Montgomery's staff. Afterwards the King, joined by Ramsay, Montgomery, Dempsey and de Guingand, talks to the men he has just decorated. He then sets off with Lieutenant-General Dempsey to 2nd Army HQ where they are met by Dempsey's Chief of Staff, Brigadier Chilton. Flanked by the two army commanders, the King poses for the cameramen. HM visits the new Admiralty HQ at Courseulles before he and Ramsay set of for HMS Arethusa.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-16
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Johnson, John Norman (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Schonland (Brigadier) (person) Chilton (Brigadier) (person) De Guingand, Francis W (person) Dempsey, Miles Christopher (person) George VI, King (person) Keller (Major-General) (person) Maud (Captain) (person) Montgomery, Bernard Law (person) Ramsay, Bertram Home (person) Canadian Army, Div, Canadian, 3 (regiment/service) British Army, Army 2 (regiment/service) British Army, Army Gp 21 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Army Service Corps, General Transport Coy 297 (regiment/service) Royal Navy (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, United States - amphibious: DUKW & [British] (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: inspection (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: investiture (object name) delegations, British international - state: George VI visits Normandy troops (object name) Creully, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 248 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 49-2 which contains complementary footage. Summary: see with A70 34-1, 40-1, 45-4, 5, 57-11 for footage showing VIPs arriving on Juno Beach to visit the British sector of the Normandy beachhead and see with A70 49-2 and ADM 1277 (which covers the King's visit to Normandy from the Royal Navy aspect).
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: