MOTORISED INFANTRY AND ARMOUR IN ACTION DURING 51ST (HIGHLAND) DIVISION'S ADVANCE TOWARDS S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: MOTORISED INFANTRY AND ARMOUR IN ACTION DURING 51ST (HIGHLAND) DIVISION'S ADVANCE TOWARDS S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 183-1
- Other titles:
- Summary: Supported by the East Riding Yeomanry's 'C' Squadron and transported into action by armoured personnel carriers from the 1st Canadian APC Regiment, the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders' 'A' company is assigned the task of eliminating German outposts in the countryside between Schijndel and the Dommel river.
- Description: Filming from a moving Ram Kangaroo APC, the cameraman observes two M5 half-tracks in the motorised column travelling through Holland(?) and focuses on hayricks and outhouses set on fire by British artillery. The cameraman examines two German notices, of which one forbids separate (?) billeting in Holland without the authorisation of the C-in-C Wehrmacht Quartermaster Department for the Netherlands. The joint infantry and armour column files towards a German-held road junction; having 'de-bussed', riflemen make their way forward and take up combat positions further down the road. A toppled road sign is found at the junction; the column continues its westward advance towards Boxtel through woodland and past cottages and farm buildings set on fire by British artillery. Infantrymen on foot move ahead of the column towards their next intermediate objective; a radio operator sends a message to company HQ over his No. 18 wireless set.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-23
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Watkins, R V (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 273 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-5, 183-2, 7, 17, 194-6, 186-2, 3, 187-3, 5, 189-2, 190-2, 3, 192-7 for footage showing 51st (Highland) Division in action during Operation Pheasant and refer to ciné material showing 7th Armoured and 53rd (Welsh) Divisions similarly engaged. Remarks: Good action footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above notably A70 183-2 which contains complementary, similar footage. Documentation/associated material: In addition to the publications listed in A70 182-5 for a bibliography, read 'Europe Revisited'. The East Riding Yeomanry in the Liberation of Europe and the defeat of Germany by C Ellison.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: