- Title: THE GREAT GERMAN RETREAT [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 131
- Other titles: THE CAPTURE OF PERONNE [Alternative Title]
- Summary: Péronne shortly after its capture by the British, Western Front, 17 March 1917.
- Description: I. (Reel 1) The Lincolnshire Regiment clear a road lined with damaged trees. Nine men of the Royal Munster Fusiliers cross a damaged bridge over the Somme. A column of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment marches down a dirt road over the old battlefield. (No battalions of any of these regiments were involved in the capture of Péronne.) II. "Burning houses in Péronne" with British soldiers passing by in twos and threes. The damaged cathedral. On a monument in the main square have been chalked the names of formations passing through the town. (1/8th Battalion, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, of 48th Division, was the first to enter Péronne on 17 March. This is shortly after.) A battalion of Sherwood Foresters (59th Division ?) in marching column. A motor machine gun company in its motorcycle combinations. A French village where British officers self-consciously fraternise with local women and children. (Reel 2) Barbed wire defences at "Buiches" (Biaches ?). A damaged bridge over the Somme. A Yeomanry detachment crosses a wooden bridge at Péronne, followed by a Vauxhall staff car, "the first motor car to cross the Somme". A cyclist patrol moves forward. A group of officers fraternises with French peasants. More scenes of Péronne, including the famous sign placed by the Germans on the town hall in the main square, "Nicht Ärgern, Nur Wundern" (don't be angry, just wonder).
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1917
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Cinema Committee (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) Jury, William F (Production individual) McDowell, J B (Production individual) Raymond, H C (Production individual) Malins, Geoffrey H (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Lincolnshire Regiment (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Munster Fusiliers (regiment/service) British Army, Lancashire Regiment, North Loyal (regiment/service) British Army, Div 59 (regiment/service) British Army, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment (regiment/service) British Army, yeomanry (regiment/service) British Army, cyclists (regiment/service) British Army, Machine Gun Corps, Motorised (regiment/service)
- Keywords: transport, British military - car: Vauxhall D staff car (object name) weapons, British - smallarm (mounted): Vickers machine gun (motorised) (object name) transport, British military - 2/3 wheel: motorcycle combination (object name) demolition, German - denial (object name) destruction, French military - area: fire (object name) buildings, French - institutional: town hall & [damaged] (object name) buildings, French - religious: cathedral & [damaged] (object name) operations, British military - movement (object name) society, British military - friendship (object name) society, French - friendship (object name) 01/3(4-15).61 (event) Somme (River), France (geography) Péronne, Somme, France (geography) Biaches, Somme, France (geography) propaganda, British (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 1027 ft; Running time: 17 mins
- Notes: Cameraman: the cameraman was either McDowell or Raymond.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
IWM 60 (PALESTINE SECTIONS [Main Title])