THE NAVY CAPTURE AN ITALIAN SUBMARINE; PRISONERS IN SYRACUSE; ITALIAN COAST DEFENCE GUNS [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE NAVY CAPTURE AN ITALIAN SUBMARINE; PRISONERS IN SYRACUSE; ITALIAN COAST DEFENCE GUNS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: AYY 500-7
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: The aftermath of an Italian submarine (RS Bronzo) being attacked on surfacing off the coast of Sicily. Prisoners in Syracuse.
- Description: 13 July. Destroyer docking at Syracuse harbour with prisoners aboard. The submarine being towed in by recovery ships. The submarine passing into the harbour, showing the damaged conning tower. A sailor supporting a wounded Italian sailor as he walks. Men searching Italian sailors. Men moving onto the beach from landing craft. Men by a board which reads "Beachmaster H.Q. and AMLO". A Sherman tank moving through an archway. Close up of a dead body on the ground. A carrier moving over a damaged road. A tank leaving the landing craft. The tank moving through the water. Rear view of the tank 14 July. Italian and German prisoners marching through Syracuse prior to being shipped to North Africa. They move past a building Siracuse Centrale. Line of prisoners moving through the town. An officer and others in the street. Prisoners assembled outside the Siracuse Centrale building. Members of the 380/34 Detachment, Royal Marines, approaching captured Italian coast defence guns, with ships unloading supplies at Syracuse harbour in the background. Man by a gun observing with binoculars. The town with the gun in the foreground. Close up of a sergeant shouting orders to men. Men placing ammunition in the box. Men cleaning the gun. Men elevating the gun. Panning shot over ships at sea. A man cleaning the gun. Close up of a man writing details on paper. Man making notes. View of the gun in the emplacement. Shot through a hole in the cliff showing the muzzle of the gun poking through. Close up of man with gun.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-07-13 1943-07-14
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Film Unit (Production company) Acland, A W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Royal Marines (regiment/service) Italian Navy, BRONZO (RS) (regiment/service) German Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Syracuse, Sicily, Italy (geography) Italy 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 500 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: Summary: detailed shots of the Italian submarine as listed in the dope sheet do not actually appear in this film. Some submarine shots appear on AYY 500/8-9.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: