- Title: THE RAILWAYS PLAY AN IMPORTANT PART IN THE BUILD-UP FOR D-DAY (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 20-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: The Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Railway (SMR), running from Shrewsbury and Llanymynech, is restored to service by the War Office in order to link a chain of army ordnance depots to the Great Western Railway.
- Description: I. A War Department (WD) 0-6-0 tank locomotive hauls ammunition wagons in reverse out of Ford station. Another ammunition train rumbles over a bridge. A passenger train conveys army sappers to various points along the railway. Three WD engines manned by personnel from an RE railway operating company are seen travelling through the Shropshire country side. Sappers and ex-SMR employees are seen at Kinnerley Junction, the site of a large ordnance depot. Goods wagons are coupled to a locomotive. Crates containing smoke canisters and shrapnel mines are loaded onto a goods wagon. A tame jackdaw is briefly seen perched on a hawthorn tree. II. Large numbers of Fordson fifteen-hundredweight trucks, Morris light utility cars and Canadian military-pattern trailer tractors are stored alongside a branch of the Great Western Railway at No 55 Vehicle Reserve Depot, Little Stretton, Shropshire.
- Access Conditions: IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-05-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Army Film Unit (Production company) Wilkes, A E (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: GB, England, the Midlands (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 572 ft; Running time: 6 mins.
- Notes: Remarks: see A70 20-1 and A70 20-4 for similar footage taken by Lieutenant Handford and Sergeant Carpenter and refer to A70 20-3 for material taken by Sergeant Wilkes. More pre D-Day coverage of British railways can be found in A70 3 and 11-3 and 17-4. The SMR was re-opened in 1909 after lying derelict for many years, was closed to passenger traffic in 1933 and was taken over by the War Department in June 1941. Summary: good material for railway enthusiasts and military vehicle fanatics. Best seen with first two items of film listed above.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
A70 20-1 (THE RAILWAYS PLAY AN IMPORTANT PART IN THE BUILD UP FOR D-DAY (PART 1) [Allocated Title]) A70 20-3 (THE RAILWAYS PLAY AN IMPORTANT PART IN THE BUILD-UP FOR D-DAY (PART 3) [Allocated Title]) A70 20-4 (THE RAILWAYS PLAY AN IMPORTANT PART IN THE BUILD-UP FOR D-DAY (PART 4) [Allocated Title])