- Title: LIEUTENANT-GENERAL SIR MILES DEMPSEY IN SURABAYA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 516
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Lieutenant-General Sir Miles Dempsey, Commander-in-Chief Allied Land Forces South East Asia (ALFSEA), makes a tour of inspection of troops in Surabaya (Sourabaya/Soerabaja) in Java, Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia).
- Description: Dempsey inspects a guard of honour of 2nd Battalion the Buffs on the quayside at Surabaya, accompanied by Major-General Mansergh, the commander of 5th Indian Division. Dempsey speaks to a sergeant. Dempsey speaks to a soldier with a cane under his arm (regimental sergeant major?). Dempsey, Mansergh and a naval officer in conversation. Dempsey gets into a staff car. A sign reads 'FSD Sourabaya' (Field Supply Depot) with a warehouse behind; fast pan to Dempsey arriving. Dempsey returning to his car. Dempsey meets officers of the Buffs. Dempsey addressing troops informally. Close-up of a bush hat with 'Buffs' flash. Dempsey inspects Indian troops of 106 Indian Workshop Company, Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (IEME). Dempsey inspects a General Purpose Transport Company (106?) of the Royal Indian Army Service Corps (RIASC).
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1946-02-03
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Walter, Ernest Henry1919Family origin: Barry, Glamorgan, South Wales (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Allied Land Forces South East Asia (regiment/service) Indian Army, 5th Indian Division (regiment/service) British Army, The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment), 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, 106 Workshop Company (regiment/service) Indian Army, Royal Indian Army Service Corps (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Surabaya, Java, Netherlands East Indies (geography) Allied Occupation of the Netherlands East Indies, Allied Occupation of South East Asia post-August 1945 (event) India 1939-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 254 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Dempsey had arrived in the capital Batavia (now Jakarta) the previous day. His arrival can be seen in the film referenced below. See related items. The dopesheet identifies both the RIASC and IEME companies as being No. 106. This seems somewhat unlikely, so it is likely that one of the two is wrong.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 468 (LIEUTENANT-GENERAL SIR MILES DEMPSEY ARRIVES IN BATAVIA [Allocated Title])