GERMAN PRISONERS OF WAR IN THE BRITISH SECTOR OF THE NORMANDY BEACH-HEAD [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: GERMAN PRISONERS OF WAR IN THE BRITISH SECTOR OF THE NORMANDY BEACH-HEAD [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 101-1
- Other titles:
- Summary: Some of the 11,000 prisoners taken by 2nd Army from June 6th to July 29th 1944 are seen awaiting transfer to the United Kingdom.
- Description: Supervised by 2nd Army's 'Redcaps', inmates in an Army cage receive a midday meal of bully beef tins and soup, seen here being doled out by a Waffen-SS soldier. Prisoners about to leave the cage hand in their money to a British Army Pay Corps officer in exchange for a receipt. POWs are seen talking to a British intelligence officer and resting in the sun. British and German medical orderlies spray inmates with delousing powder. The cameraman examines signs indicating compounds for officers, NCOs and ordinary ranks. Prisoners bound for Britain are transferred in Commer lorries to a transit camp near Arromanches where their possessions are searched on arrival. British and German orderlies check the contents of a first-aid kit. Prisoners are further deloused and given light tasks to perform by their 'Redcap' guards such as fixing the barbed-wire perimeter fence. With officers and NCOs in the lead, prisoners march to the Mulberry harbour and board a US Navy LST, which is seen leaving for England; visible among the blockships in the background to HMS Despatch.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-26
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Harris, L W J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Royal Military Police (regiment/service) British Army, Army 2 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: prisoners of war, German - custody (object name) engineering, military, British - Mulberry (object name) ships, United States naval - amphibious: LST (object name) medical, British military - preventative: delousing (object name) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 899 ft; Running time: 10 mins
- Notes: Note: See with A70 92-6, 126-9, 131-4, 5, 133-3, 5 for footage showing German prisoners-of-war in British custody and refer to A70 29-4, 5 and 36-5 for ciné material showing German troops arriving in England as POWs shortly after D-Day. See Dope sheet for comments on the German POW's morale. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above which constitutes a chronicle of the processing of POWs from their arrival at divisional POW reception cages to their arrival in a POW reception camp in England.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: