RELEASED PRISONERS OF WAR IN HOSPITAL AND BEING SHOWN AROUND HMS SUSSEX [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: RELEASED PRISONERS OF WAR IN HOSPITAL AND BEING SHOWN AROUND HMS SUSSEX [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 333
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Recently liberated Allied prisoners of war and internees are shown around the Royal Navy London Class heavy cruiser HMS Sussex, and seen in hospital.
- Description: Internees climbing a gangway to board HMS Sussex. Reverse angle showing same. Civilian ex-internees (on the flag deck?) with a Royal Navy signaller. Internees looking at a six-barrelled Vickers 2-pounder 'pom pom'. Looking at Sussex's 8-inch main guns. Internees are shown one of the ship's 4-inch secondary guns by a rating. Interior ward; general view with patients and nurses. Two freed prisoners of war talking. A man sits on his bed reading; he lights a cigarette. Pan along a row of beds; a nurse walks to a particular bed and stops to talk to a patient as the camera continues to pan. Ex-prisoners on deck looking out. A rating demonstrates one of Sussex's twin 20mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns by traversing the turret. Men looking out over the rails. Internees walking along deck. Wide shot of Sussex at her berth.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Hewit, J R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Navy, SUSSEX (HMS), cruiser (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Singapore (geography) Recovery of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees 1945, Allied Prisoners of War Far East 1939-1945, Internment (event) India 1939-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 295 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: HMS Sussex was the flagship of Rear Admiral Cedric Holland and had been the site of the Japanese surrender of the Singapore garrison on 4 September 1945. Additional coverage by Sergeant Abbott. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 334 (RELEASED PRISONERS OF WAR IN HOSPITAL AND BEING SHOWN AROUND HMS SUSSEX [Allocated Title])