- Title: TIMEPIECE [Main Title]
- Film Number: COI 436
- Other titles:
- Summary: A round-the-world, round-the-clock picture of the activities of the RAF in the mid-1960s.
- Description: The film alternates between four principal plot elements: an RAF pilot in the USA for conversion training on Phantoms at the McDonnell plant near Saint Louis; navigator training using Hawker Siddeley Dominies from No 1 Air Navigation School, Stradishall (night exercises, and a daytime flight to Malta); a schoolgirl returning to the UK from Hong Kong by RAF VC10; and a major exercise in Cyprus, including ground forces (RAF Regiment) flown in by Hercules and Argosy transports, and Lightnings from UK-based Squadrons (principally No 29 Squadron, but with aircraft from 56 and 111 Squadrons also seen) flying, with in-flight refuelling from Victors, to intercept Canberras "attacking" from Turkey. Ancillary activities are also seen - crash tenders and ground crew (including loading of drill missiles to Lightnings), WRAF personnel in Ops Room at NATO HQ Near East. RAF police dog patrol, air-sea rescue launch etc - together with glimpses of off duty life.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (COI 436)
- Featured Period: 1945-1975
- Production Date: 1966
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Central Office of Information (Production sponsor) World Wide Pictures (Production company) Allen, James1924-01-03 (Production individual) Parris, Clifford (Production individual) Jago, Jo (Production individual) Gordon, Michael (Production individual) Gilpin, Peter (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force, RAF Regt (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Sqdn 29 (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Sqdn 56 (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Sqdn 111 &, Black Arrows (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Air Navigation School, 1 (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Women's Royal Air Force, (regiment/service) NT.F (regiment/service) McDonnell Aircraft Corporation (regiment/service)
- Keywords: aircraft, British - combat: English Electric Canberra (object name) aircraft, British - combat: English Electric Lightning (object name) aircraft, British - combat: Handley Page Victor (object name) aircraft, British - transport: Armstrong Whitworth Argosy (object name) aircraft, British - light military: Hawker Siddeley Dominie (object name) aircraft, British - transport: Vickers VC10 (object name) aircraft, United States - transport: Lockheed Hercules & [British] (object name) command and control, NATO: operations room, NATO HQ (object name) operations, British air - preparation (object name) operations, British air - routine (object name) ships, British auxiliary - assistance: Air-Sea Rescue Launch (object name) society, British air - domestic (object name) training, British air (object name) Cyprus (geography) Malta (geography) GB, England & Stradishall, Suffolk <RAF Station> (geography) GB, England & Stradishall, Suffolk <RAF Number 1 Air Navigation School> (geography) USA & Saint Louis, MO <McDonnell aircraft plant> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 2042 ft; Running time: 22 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: