- Title: SIEG IM WESTEN [Main Title]
- Film Number: GWY 1122
- Other titles: VICTORY IN THE WEST [Translation]
- Summary: Documentary on the German campaign against France traces the victorious advance of German forces through Belgium and Holland, the defeat of the British Expeditionary Force at Dunkirk and the signature of the Armistice with France at Compiègne, between May and June 1940.
- Description: (Reel 1) Historical background to the campaign is explained: Thirty Years War, Bismarck, First World War, Treaty of Versailles, rise of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Party, rebuilding of German Armed Forces under Hitler. (Reel 2) Reclamation of territory ceded under the Treaty of Versailles, annexation of the Sudetenland, the invasion of Czechoslovakia and Poland. Preparation for war. (Reel 3) Opening of campaign on 10 May 1940. German forces cross into Belgium. Hitler plans strategy with Generalmajor von Brauchitsch, Generalmajor von Rundstedt, Generalmajor von Leeb and Chief of the General Staff General der Artillerie Halder. German paratroops and soldiers advance through Belgium and Holland, towards fortress of Eben Emael at Liège. (Reel 4) Capture of Eben Emael on 11 May. Crossing of Albert Canal. Capture of Moerdijk and Rotterdam precede capitulation of Holland. Waffen SS troops. First tank battle of campaign between French and German armour. (Reel 5) German armour advances towards the Maginot Line. German soldiers cross the River Meuse (Maas). (Reel 6) German forces break through the Maginot Line, set up defensive lines on the River Aisne and advance through Arras and Abbéville to the coast (English Channel). (Reel 7) Waffen SS troops. Capitulation of Belgium. German advance on Dunkirk. British prisoners and destroyed and abandoned equipment at Dunkirk after capture on 4 June. German forces pursue retreating French Army. Supply columns en route. (Reel 8) Contribution of Organisation Todt, industrial workers and railway engineers repairing lines. Luftwaffe Junkers Ju 87 Stukas dive-bomb French forces. (Reel 9) German armour prepares to cross River Somme on 15 June. Capture of Rouen, where oil tanks ignited by retreating French blaze and cathedral stands unharmed "thanks to the efforts of German soldiers". (Reel 10) German armour prepares to attack the Weygand Line on 5 June. German forces cross the River Marne in inflatable rubber dinghies. Capture of Paris on 14 June. Generalmajor von Bock and General von Küchler take salute at Victory parade along Champs Elysées. German forces attack Verdun on 14 June. (Reel 11) General Busch reviews his victorious troops at Verdun at the First World War memorial. (Reel 12) The final push through France by Generalmajor von Brauchitsch. The signing of the Armistice with France at Compiègne.
- Access Conditions: IWM-GERMAN Attribution: IWM – GWY 1122
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1941-01-29
- Production Country: Germany
- Production Details:
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: German Title language: German Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 12 Footage: 10285 ft; Running time: 115 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
WOY 438 (VICTORY IN THE WEST [Main Title])