- Title: JAPANESE SURRENDER OF HONG KONG [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 376
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: At Government House, Hong Kong, senior Japanese officers surrender the territory to British officers led by Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of North Cape.
- Description: Japanese officers, led by Rear Admiral Ruitaro Fujita, climb a flight of steps from a jetty. The officers board a car; they are guarded by British troops, probably of 3 Commando Brigade, armed with Thompson submachine guns. They arrive at Government House and are escorted inside under armed guard; they pass a unit of sailors formed up with fixed bayonets. Guard of honour on parade. Wide shot of guard of honour with sailors on the right of the line; a naval officer with a cane walks across shot. Group of naval officers arriving, including Admiral Fraser. Fraser and another officer. Dim interior footage at Government House. A Japanese Army officer, probably Major-General Okada, signs the instrument of surrender. He surrenders his sword. Rear Admiral Fujita, seen in profile, signs the document and surrenders his sword. The Allied officers sign the document. Party leaving Government House. Interior; waiting officers. They take their seats; the Chinese officer is Major-General Pan Hwa Kuei. The Japanese delegates take their seats with another view of Okada signing. Exterior; guard of honour. Group of officers. Senior officers take up positons. The guard of honour presents arms. Admiral Fraser inspecting. A Royal Marine pipe band leads a group of sailors. Pipe band followed by commandos.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-16
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Fraser, Bruce Austin (person) Okada, Umekichi (person) Fujita, Ruitaro (person) Royal Navy, Corps of Royal Marines (regiment/service) IMPERIAL JAPANESE ARMY (regiment/service) Imperial Japanese Navy (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Hong Kong (geography) Surrender of Japanese Forces 1945, Hong Kong, Second World War (event) Liberation of Hong Kong 1945, Pacific War 1941-1945, Second World War (event) India 1939-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 548 ft; Running time: 7 mins
- Notes: This surrender was also filmed by an RAF cameraman, Sergeant Layzell, whose footage can be found at the reference below. Allied delegation also included Colonel Adrian Williams (US Army) and Captain W B Creery (Royal Canadian Navy). The interpreter was Captain J A S Eccles RN. These details from captions of IWM photographs held at the references below. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 1196 (SURRENDER CEREMONY AT HONG KONG [Allocated Title]) ADM 1770 (SURRENDER CEREMONY AT HONG KONG [Allocated Title]) ABY 168 (JAPANESE SURRENDER OF HONG KONG [Allocated Title]) ADM 2668 (JAPANESE SURRENDER IN HONG KONG AND VIEWS OF THE ISLAND [Allocated Title])