- Title: CAMERAMEN AT WAR [Main Title]
- Film Number: UKY 522
- Other titles:
- Summary: A tribute to the cameramen of the newsreel companies and the service film units, in the form of a compilation of film of the cameramen themselves and some of their most dramatic film.
- Description: An introduction looks back to coverage of the First World War, with film of D W Griffith "at the front" and an archive sequence (tanks), before showing the training of contemporary cameramen, including a battle course. The main compilation follows (NB cameramen's names are listed in 'Credits' above; those actually being seen are also listed as 'Persons'). Several good incidental illustrations of equipment occur, including special developments (eg electric heating for camera mounted in bomber) and a blast-damaged tripod. Film samples cover many aspects of the war: Vaagso raid; North African tank action, land convoy under bombardment, and Anglo-US link-up; air raid on Italian fleet; northern sea convoy under air attack; Dover shelling; the Blitz; Dieppe; capture of German officers in West Africa; Tunis liberation (WW1 film of Alexander compared to modern footage). Film closes with scene inside a cinema projection box preparing to screen a newsreel.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Realist (Production company) Lye, Len (Production individual) Meyer, Ernst H (Production individual) Bonnett, Sidney R (Production individual) Murray, Leslie19192010 (Production individual) Gemmell, Jim (Production individual) Struthers, Ian DuncanNewsreel cameraman working for British Paramount (Production individual) Hardy, Douglas H J (Production individual) Candy, Edward A1920-01-022007 (Production individual) Parnell, Frank (Production individual) Cotter, Jack (Production individual) Martin, Charles (Production individual) Wilson, Martyn (Production individual) Ashwood, Terry (Production individual) Ramsden, Jack L (Production individual) Wright, Jim (Production individual) Bayliss, Frederick W "Fred"Paramount News (Production individual) Ewins, James (Production individual) Turner, John (Production individual) Noble, Ronald 'Ronnie (Production individual) Tozer, Alec (Production individual) Cannon, Peter (Production individual) Gemmel, Jock (Production individual) Thompson, Graham (Production individual) Edmonds, A R "Eddy" (Production individual) Glendenning, Raymond1907-09-251974-02-23 (Production cast)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Ashwood, Terry (person) Bayliss, Frederick W "Fred" (person) Bonnett, Sidney R (person) Candy, A E (person) Cotter, Jack (person) Cannon, Peter (person) Edmonds, A R (person) Gemmell, Jim (person) Griffith, D W (person) Hardy, Douglas H J (person) Murray, Leslie (person) Noble, Ronald 'Ronnie' (person) Purnell, Frank "Taxi" (person) Ramsden, Jack L (person) Struthers, Ian Duncan (person) Thompson, Graham (person) Tozer, Alec (person) Turner, Phil John (person) Wilson, Martyn (person) Wright, Jim (person)
- Keywords: combat, Allied (object name) equipment, British civilian - camera (object name) equipment, British military - camera (object name) journalism and record, British - cameraman (object name) recreation, British civilian - cinema: newsreels (object name) society, British - history (object name)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 1275 ft; Running time: 15 mins
- Notes: Credits: music credit from John Huntley, 'British Film Music' (1947).
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: