THE 11TH ARMOURED DIVISION ADVANCES TOWARDS THE BAS PERRIER RIDGE [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 11TH ARMOURED DIVISION ADVANCES TOWARDS THE BAS PERRIER RIDGE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 110-5
- Other titles:
- Summary: The 23rd Hussars' tanks and the 8th Rifle Brigade's motorised infantry pass through Beaulieu and Presles as they advance on 29th Armoured Brigade's left flank to Chênedollé on the Bas-Perrier ridge.
- Description: From Hill 218 overlooking Presles a 29th Armoured Brigade tank commander scans the countryside on the armoured column's right flank during a halt in the advance. Carriers from the 8th Battalion the Rifle Brigade crawl down the steep slope into Presles, which is overlooked by the Bas-Perrier ridge. A Rifle Brigade half-track takes a tight corner as it enters the village. The 23rd Hussars pause before making the final leg of the advance to Chênedollé. An M10 17-pounder from the 75th Anti-Tank Regiment RA raises dust as it rumbles up the Bas-Perrier ridge. Tanks and support vehicles of the 3rd RTR are seen earlier in the day parked in reserve along the N177 Caen-Vire highway between St Charles de Percy and the crossroads at Beaulieu. Three 23rd Hussars tanks file over the crossroads on their way to Le Desert. The regiment's 'A' squadron races along a country road between Le Desert and Presles. An M10 "Achilles" and two Rifle Brigade carriers join the advance through bocage country.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-02
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Grant, Ian James1917-04-16Family origin: Edinburgh, Scotland (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Corps 8 (regiment/service) British Army, Hussars, 23 (regiment/service) British Army, Rifle Brigade, 8th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 29 Gp (regiment/service) British Army, Div, Armoured, 11 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Tank Regiment, 3rd Battalion (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) armour, United States - tank: M4 Sherman & [British] (object name) armour, British - tank: Crusader AA (object name) armour, United States - SPG: M10 Achilles (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Calvados, France (geography) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 297 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Note: See with A70 107-1, 2 and 3, 108-5, 109-1, 110-6 (virtually identical to this material) and 115-4 for footage showing the 11th Armoured Division in action during Operation "Bluecoat". Refer generally to material showing other 8th Corps formations in action south of Caumont. Remarks: Good, clear shots of AFVs moving at speed along dusty lanes. This footage is a good visual record of the 'bocage' country. Documentation/associated material: Read 'La Charge du Taureau' by Jean Brisset (in French), 'Taurus Pursuant - The History of the 11th Armoured Division' by BAOR, 'The Story of the 23rd Hussars 1940-1946'.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: