THE 49TH (WEST RIDING) DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF THE ANTWERP TURNHOUT CANAL (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE 49TH (WEST RIDING) DIVISION GOES INTO ACTION NORTH OF THE ANTWERP TURNHOUT CANAL (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 174-5
- Other titles:
- Summary: 56th Brigade in action in the vicinity of Rijkevorsel.
- Description: A section of infantrymen from the 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment (?) advances up a tree-lined road in company with a troop of three Sherman tanks from the Canadian 27th Armoured (Sherbrooke Fusiliers) Regiment supporting 56th Brigade's attempts to advance northward from Rijkevorsel. Two 4.2 inch mortar teams from No. 12 or 13 platoon in the 2nd Battalion Kensington Rifles' 'D' Company are seen in action outside the village laying down a defensive barrage (?) in front of the brigade's positions; the platoon commander(?) is seen received firing orders over a No. 38 radio (conspicuous on account of its long aerial). The cameraman separately observes the two heavy mortar detachments in action; note that the mortars are progressively lowered as the German counter-attack (?) comes closer and closer.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-06
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) McArdle, T P (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Belgium (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 77 ft; Running time: 1 min
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 171-6, 7, 172-7, 8, 174-8, 9, 175-4, 182-3, 4, 183-9, 11, 13, 15, 184-1 to 4, 186-4, 5, 190-4, 192-2 to 4 for footage showing 49th Division in action with 1st Canadian Army from 28/9/1944 to 7/11/1944. The 2nd Essex Regiment remained in the Rijkevorsel sector until 7/10/1944 securing the Antwerp-Turnhout bridgehead against German counter-attacks while the rest of 49th Division advanced towards Tilburg. Remarks: Good shots of heavy mortars in action, best seen with items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 171-6, 172-7 which contain combat footage shot in Rijkevorsel, and A70 172-8 which features 4.2 inch mortar detachments in action. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography refer to the publications listed in A70 171-5 and 172-8.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: