BRITISH MILITARY TRAFFIC COPES WITH FLOODS ON THE ROADS IN NORMANDY (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: BRITISH MILITARY TRAFFIC COPES WITH FLOODS ON THE ROADS IN NORMANDY (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 92-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: Traffic from formations deployed with 12th Corps in the Odon valley encounters difficult road conditions after the great storm of July 20th 1944.
- Description: Lorries, trucks, jeeps and motorcycle despatch riders belonging primarily to 43rd (Wessex) Division and 3rd Army Group Royal Artillery units are seen making their way along a badly- rutted road (outside the village of Marcelet) that has become a sea of liquid mud; among the numerous types of vehicle seen here are an Albion six-wheeled 3-ton lorry from an unspecified 43rd (Wessex) Division unit, two CMP 3-ton lorries from 504th and 505th Companies RASC respectively, two Dodge tipper lorries from a 2nd Army RASC unit, a Scammell heavy breakdown tractor ("Liberator") from 107th RAC's REME echelon, a CMP water truck from 179th Field Regiment RA, a Bedford MW truck from 13th Medium Regiment RA (which gets stuck in a pothole and has to be towed free), two Fordson WOT6 lorries (with 'A' squadron markings) carrying explosives for an unspecified 79th Armoured Division unit and a Humber heavy utility staff car.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-21
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Gross, A C (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 199 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: For footage showing traffic coping with the Calvados region's over-worked road network, see A70 63-3, 5, 65-2, 71-6, 7, 79-3, 7, 8, 84-1, 90-3, 92-3 to 5. Refer generally to footage showing 12th Corps' formations in action in the Odon valley in July 1944. 504th and 505th Companies RASC belonged to 129th and 130th Brigades, which, with 179th Field Regiment RA, were part of 43rd (Wessex) Division. Remarks: Good shots of all the vehicles itemised in the synopsis. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 92-3 which contains complementary, almost identical footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 90-3.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: