IWM Film website upgrade: self-selection and authorised download of HD clips. More info
By continuing to use this site without changing your cookie settings,
and for us to access our cookies on your device.
Title:FORCE S ASSEMBLES FOR OPERATION NEPTUNE [Allocated Title]
Film Number:ADM 684
Other titles:THE ROYAL NAVY IN NORTHERN AND ATLANTIC WATERS [Allocated Series Title]
Summary: Sequences shot as ships assemble off the South Coast just prior to D-Day.
Description: (1) Medium shot from LSI(L) Empire Broadsword - destroyer in background. Medium shot of moored LCAs and a medium close-up tracking shot from stern to port bow of LSI(L) Empire Battleaxe. Medium shot from the port bow of HMS Orestes lying with another 'Algerine', close alongside an oiler - as the camera approaches it pans right to hold stern of tanker. Medium shot of small water tanker (LCA in foreground) and tracking shot past the monitor HMS Roberts. Cut to medium close-up, track from quarter deck to bridge of HMS Orestes, followed by pan from bow of oiler (note defence gear) to three-quarter view of minesweepers alongside (monitor in background). Pan from 4-inch AA gun on aft shelter deck to bridge and port bow of HMS Despatch (as a depot ship, stripped of its 6-inch armament) - washing is hung on the focsle deck and crew members line the rail.
(2) LCT(4)s, LCI(L)s, LCAs and LCCs (Fairmile B conversions) underway at sea.
(3) High angle medium shot as officer of 50th Division lectures assembled crews of mechanised units embarked on LCTs at Southampton docks - camera pans to bridge of LCT(5) 2143 with companion craft moored astern and alongside. Close-ups of telegraph and helmsman in wheelhouse.
(4) Long shot of LCS(L) (3)s anchored off the Isle of Wight. Evening sea - long shots and medium shots of LCTs and LCI(L)s; LCI(S) and LCC move across foreground.
(5) Close up of operation in First Aid Post of LCT.
(6) Medium close-up of port bow of LLC, Q 196. Close-up of upper works as she passes slowly through frame, steaming right to left. Passing shot of LCI(S) - port bow to bridge only. Close-up of bridge of LCC 196.
(7) Medium long shot as a box formation of Supermarine Spitfires goes over.
Technical Details: Format: 35mm
Number of items/reels/tapes: 1
Footage: 859 ft; Running time: 10 mins
Notes: Summary: LSI(L)s Empire Broadsword and Empire Battleaxe were part of Assault Group S.3 (Portsmouth) and HMS Roberts belonged to the support force for "Sword": Force D (Rear-Admiral Patterson. Sequence (3) shows LCTs of Force G assembled at Southampton.