AUSTRALIANS, ITALIANS, AND FRENCH COLONIAL TROOPS IN PALESTINE [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: AUSTRALIANS, ITALIANS, AND FRENCH COLONIAL TROOPS IN PALESTINE [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 7
- Other titles:
- Summary: Jumbled, unedited film of the training and camp life of the French Contingent of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, Palestine Front, 1917.
- Description: The film opens with an unrelated scene of Australian troops exploding a shell or mine in a training exercise. 1st Spahi Cavalry Regiment 'charges' the camera. One of the men demonstrates steadiness by standing on his saddle. More French Cavalry in tropical kit. General scenes in the Spahi encampment. French colonial troops, probably Algerian, being instructed in the use of the Mitrailleuse Saint Etienne machine gun (?). A race in full pack between French colonial troops and Italian Bersaglieri. The film ends with portrait shots of General Bailloud, commanding the French Contingent, and of Lieutenant-General Sir Philip Chetwode, commanding the Desert Column.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1917
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Cinema Committee (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) Jeapes, Harold (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Chetwode, Philip Walhouse (person) Bailloud, Maurice Camille (person) British Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, French Contingent (regiment/service) British Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, Italian Contingent (regiment/service) French Army, French Contingent, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Royal Italian Army & Italian Contingent, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) French Army, Spahi Cavalry Regt 1 (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Imperial Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse (regiment/service)
- Keywords: training, French military (object name) training, Italian military (object name) weapons, French - smallarm: Mitrailleuse Saint Etienne machine gun (?) (object name) 01/3(569) (event) Turkey & Palestine (geography) desert (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 503 ft; Running time: 9 mins
- Notes: Title: this is taken from the shotsheet. Date: Chetwode's presence suggests that the film was taken before July 1917, when the French and Italian Contingents were still part of the Desert Column, prior to their transfer to Bulfin's XXI Corps.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: