- Title: OF ONE BLOOD [Main Title]
- Film Number: UKY 521
- Other titles:
- Summary: Lengthy coverage of the Army (and other linked) Blood Transfusion Service, showing all processes from collection and processing of blood to its use in treatment.
- Description: (Reel 1) a man is 'wounded' in a staged sequence: a brief survey of the organisation of the blood service follows, including diagrams, office scenes, and shots of the touring 'bleeding teams' on the road and taking samples from factory workers - good shots of donors giving blood in a temporary centre. Donated blood is transported in refrigerated vans to Central Depots where it is stored, marked and refrigerated; samples taken from the donors are tested for blood type. (Reel 2) Preservation and grouping of blood - separating, sterilising and freeze-drying plasma - packing and despatching bottles of plasma and saline solution - loading a plane (de Havilland Albatross) with crates - return to the 'casualty' of the first scene, receiving blood. Film stresses value of blood, (on and off the war front) and the cooperation of all allies: Free French and American nurses are seen.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1943-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Army Blood Transfusion Service (Production sponsor) Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) The Seven League Unit (Production company) Nieter, H M (Production individual) Rotha, Paul19071984British documantary film maker (Production individual) Nieter, H M (Production individual) Osiecki, Stefan1902-02-231977-05-07 (Production individual) Paulet, Pamela (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army (regiment/service)
- Keywords: aircraft, British - transport: De Havilland Albatross (object name) medical, British military - emergency: blood transfusion (object name) medical, British civilian - preventative: blood donors (object name) supplies, British, movement [RA] - medical: blood plasma (object name) propaganda, British - practical: blood donation (object name)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Sound Soundtrack language: English Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 1325 ft; Running time: 15 mins
- Notes: Remarks: the film THE ARMY BLOOD TRANSFUSION SERVICE (held as MYY 2) is a simpler, shorter version using much of the same footage but with a new commentary.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
MYY 2 (THE ARMY BLOOD TRANSFUSION SERVICE [Main Title])