THE 3RD DIVISION FIGHTS ITS WAY INTO CAEN ON THE SECOND DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 3RD DIVISION FIGHTS ITS WAY INTO CAEN ON THE SECOND DAY OF OPERATION "CHARNWOOD" (PART 2) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 75-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: 3rd Division's 9th Brigade enters the devastated city of Caen, France.
- Description: Trailing a dust cloud, a jeep ambulance from 9th Brigade's RAMC field ambulance unit races into Lebisey to deliver casualties to an FAP in the village after avoiding German shelling on the Caen-Bieville road. Accompanied by two Frenchmen, four Luftwaffe prisoners from 31st Jäger Regiment are escorted into Lebisey past a DR (despatch rider) and two universal carrier detachments belonging to the 1st Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers. Sherman tanks from 144th RAC deployed outside the village come under German shellfire. From the Caen-Bieville/Douvres-La-Délivrande road, the cameraman surveys the ravaged city of Caen (the Abbaye aux Hommes still intact) from its bombed-out northern suburbs. Infantrymen belonging to the 2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles file into Caen along the bombed-out road past sappers and an armoured bulldozer (245th Field Company and 15th Field Park Company RE) engaged in road clearance, accompanied by a Stuart V light tank (1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry or 144th RAC) and a Sherman OP tank (33rd Field Regiment RA), on which a crew member is seen arranging the extra equipment stored on its engine decking.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Walter, Ernest Henry1919Family origin: Barry, Glamorgan, South Wales (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 200 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: See with A70 71-3 to 5, 9, 72-3, 4, 8, 9, 73-1 to 4, 74-2, 3, 75-3, 4, 5, 76-1, 3, 77-2 to 4, 6, 8, 10, or footage showing 3rd Division in action during "Charnwood". The 33rd Field Regiment RA, one of 3rd Division's three field regiments, was normally attached to 9th Brigade.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: