WITH ALLENBY IN PALESTINE : a Lowell Thomas Adventure Film [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: WITH ALLENBY IN PALESTINE : a Lowell Thomas Adventure Film [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 1131b
- Other titles:
- Summary: Compilation film of events in Palestine, autumn 1917 to spring 1918.
- Description: 2nd Battalion, the Black Watch, led by its pipe band along a desert road. "The Australian Camel Corps" (actually pack camels). The bombardment of Gaza in September 1917. A street scene in Jaffa; camels and civilians moving on the Jerusalem-Jaffa road. British soldiers and Indian lancers on the move. A sentry on the Mount of Olives. The Duke of Connaught decorating General Allenby at Mount Zion barracks on 20th March 1918. A panorama of Jerusalem showing the Mosque of Omar and the Wailing Wall, the Well of David, and the Sepulchres of David, Absolom and Rachel.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (IWM 1131b)
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1927
- Production Country: United States of America
- Production Details: Eastman Kodak Company (Production company) Thomas, Lowell18921981American writer and broadcaster (Production individual) Chase, H A (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Connaught [George] (HRH Duke of) (person) Allenby, Edmund Henry Hynman (person) British Army, Black Watch, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Indian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: combat, British - artillery bombardment (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: investiture (object name) 01/3(569) (event) Palestine & Jerusalem (geography) Palestine & Gaza (geography) Palestine & Jaffa (geography) desert (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 16mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 190 ft; Running time: 8 mins
- Notes: Technical: this film is currently held on the same reel as films IWM 1131a and IWM 1131c, the can is marked as IWM 1131-01, but there is no second reel Remarks: a typical Lowell Thomas mish-mash. The use of what is apparently British official film in this item must again call into question how much of the film normally attributed to Thomas was in fact taken by him The original material would have been shot on 35mm.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: