53RD (WELSH) DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION "PHEASANT" - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Title: 53RD (WELSH) DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION "PHEASANT" - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 182-6
- Other titles:
- Summary: 53rd (Welsh) Division's assault on s'Hertogenbosch from Oss picks up momentum.
- Description: Two Churchill AVRE fascine-carriers from 222nd Assault Squadron RE move up to 160th Brigade's front north of the Oss-s'Hertogenbosch railway along a tank track and then along a paved road; the commander of the leading AVRE is seen sitting unprotected on top of the fascine bundle giving directions via his intercom microphone to his driver; the other AVRE tows a spare fascine bundle in an armoured sledge. A Ram Kangaroo armoured personnel carrier and a jeep race along the Oss-s'Hertogenbosch road through Geffen (?) past an improvised sign warning of the proximity of the Germans' former forward positions. In Nuland infantrymen from the 1st Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckingham Light Infantry's 'A' company arrive at battalion HQ (?) with prisoners from 712th Wehrmacht Division; two Churchill Crocodiles from 141st RAC's 'C' squadron set off for battle (?) with 160th Brigade; an Ox and Bucks captain interrogates four German POWs. Watched by curious and excited Dutch civilians, Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe prisoners march through Oss; in a field on its outskirts, they are lined up for a head count by military policemen from the 53rd (Welsh) Division.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-22
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Chown, L B T (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 288 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-7, 183-5, 12, 14, 186-2 for footage showing 53rd (Welsh) Division in action during Operation Pheasant - the clearance by 12th Corps of the area west of the corridor won by 30th Corps during Operation Market Garden and south of the River Maas. Refer to footage showing 7th Armoured and 51st (Highland) Divisions similarly engaged. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above. Documentation/associated material: in addition to the publications listed in A70 182-7 for a bibliography, read The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Chronicle: Volume 4 June 1944 - December 1945.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: