THE 43RD (WESSEX) DIVISION PREPARES TO QUIT THE HILL 112 SECTOR OF 12TH CORPS' FRONT [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 43RD (WESSEX) DIVISION PREPARES TO QUIT THE HILL 112 SECTOR OF 12TH CORPS' FRONT [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 96-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: The 5th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment maintains its hold on the hotly-contested village of Maltot before handing it over to units of the 53rd (Welch) Division.
- Description: On the outskirts of the village, a Bren gun team keeps watch on 271st Infantry Division's lines from the comparative safety of a slit-trench. Chickens, practically the only original inhabitants still left, pick their way through a farmyard in search of food. Some troops in the battalion have dug themselves into an orchard whose trees have been stripped of branches and leaves by mortar fire. Finally, the 5th Wiltshire Regiment prepares to leave Maltot for a few days rest in the country around Bayeux; two riflemen pack their belongings onto the back of a Bren gun carrier before they set off.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-25
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Watkins, R V (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Wiltshire Regiment, 5th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 129 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 43 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 12 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 1062 ft; Running time: 12 mins
- Notes: Note: See A70 96-2 for footage taken in Maltot and refer to A70 94-6 and 7 for material showing a Vickers MG unit in action near the village, A70 76-4, 5 and 6, 83-7, 85-7 and 87-3 and 4 for footage showing 8th and 12th Corps' formations in action in the Hill 112 sector of the Odon valley and refer generally to material shot during Operation "Epsom". Remarks: Best seen with items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 90-2. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 76-4 and 5 and 96-2.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: