REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE INVASION OF NORMANDY (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE INVASION OF NORMANDY (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 35-2
- Other titles:
- Summary: Undisturbed by German aerial and naval activity, elements of the 51st (Highland) Division are off-loaded from merchantmen anchored off the coast of Normandy.
- Description: I. A Humber FWD 8-cwt truck belonging to the 5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders is lowered over the side of the Liberty ship Samarovsk into an LCT(S) off Juno Beach at Bernieres-sur-Mer. The cameraman films from the LCT(S) as it leaves the Samarovsk; LCT 2296, another tank landing craft, is seen moored along its portside to receive stores and vehicles stowed in the vessel's forward cargo holds. II. The cameraman surveys the passage of craft ferrying men, stores and vehicles from merchant shipping anchored off Bernieres-sur-Mer to 'Nan' Beach. Troops on board the Samarovsk watch a Morris Quad artillery tractor from the 61st Anti-Tank Regiment RA being lowered into LCT 2296. Its tank deck now filled with vehicles, the landing craft slips away from the Liberty ship and heads through the busy anchorage where several US Navy LSTs and Liberty ships engaged in off-loading their cargoes and numerous smaller invasion craft can be seen.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Connolly, J R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Bde 152 (regiment/service) British Army, Cameron Highlanders, 5th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 1 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 51 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) Royal Navy, LCT 2296 (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Samarovsk (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British auxiliary - cargo: Samarovsk (liberty ship) (object name) ships, British naval - amphibious: LCT(S) (object name) ships, British naval - amphibious: LCT 2296 (object name) supplies, British, movement [FA] - misc (object name) transport, British military - truck: Humber 8cwt 4x4 truck (object name) transport, British military - truck: Morris Quad (object name) Operation Overlord, Second World War (event) Bernières-sur-Mer, Calvados, France (geography) Juno Beach, Courseulles-sur-Mer, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 163 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: see with A70 35-3, 36-3, 4, for footage showing the Highland Division leaving England and arriving off Normandy on D + 1 and refer to ciné material showing other follow-up formations arriving in Normandy, notably A70 33-1 to 4 and 37-2. This footage should be assembled in the following order: part II of the synopsis and then part I. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 35-3 whose part II contains similar, complementary footage. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, read 'An Account of the Operations of 2nd Army in Europe 1944-45: Volume 1' by L F Ellis and 'The History of the 51st (Highland) Division 1939-1945' by J B Salmond.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: