THE 'DESERT RATS' MAKE FURTHER ADVANCES ON 30TH CORPS' FRONT [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 'DESERT RATS' MAKE FURTHER ADVANCES ON 30TH CORPS' FRONT [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 113-24
- Other titles:
- Summary: Additional coverage of 7th Armoured Division's advance from Robin to objectives beyond Aunay-sur-Odon to the north of the Mont Pincon 'massif'.
- Description: Armour belonging to the Division's armoured reconnaissance regiment, the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars, and the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards takes the road out of the Longvilliers towards La Butte La Bouquet and the village of Hamars. Armour from the 11th Hussars and the 22nd Armoured Brigade's HQ is funnelled down a narrow 'bocage' lane; an anonymous corpse lies underneath the hedgerows. Sexton SPGs belonging to the 5th Royal Horse Artillery rumble along a muddy lane shortly after crossing the Odon river; their crews shelter from the rain underneath canvas tilts covering their open-topped fighting compartments. A 5th RHA Sherman OP tank and a Daimler scout car enter a hamlet. The 8th Hussars file through the crossroads village of Robin and take the road to Longvilliers. They pass trucks, jeeps, carriers and self-propelled guns attached to 131st (Queen's) Brigade quartered in adjacent fields. A 1/7th Queen's Regiment carrier is winched aboard a Diamond 'T' transporter before being taken away for repairs.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-05
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Covey (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Hussars, 8 (regiment/service) British Army, Queen's Regiment, Bn 1/7 (regiment/service) British Army, Queen's Regiment, Bn 1/6 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 131 (regiment/service) British Army, Dragoon Guards, 5 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde, Armoured, 22 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery, 5th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Hussars, 11 (regiment/service) British Army, Div, Armoured, 7 (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 30 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - tank: Cromwell (object name) armour, British - armoured car: Staghound (object name) armour, United States - tank: M4 Sherman OP & [British] (object name) armour, British - SPG: Sexton 25-pounder (object name) Stuart V light tank (object name) armour, British - carrier: Universal (object name) transport, United States military - prime mover: Diamond T transporter & [British] (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Normandy, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 294 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Note: See with A70 113-14, which is identical to several of the sequences in this material, and A70 108-4 and 7 and 116-10 for footage showing the 7th Armoured Division in action with 30th Corps during Operation "Bluecoat". "Bluecoat" did not see the 'Desert Rats' at their best, partly because of their experiences in the 'bocage' during their bid to capture Villers-Bocage in mid-June 1944. Remarks: Good footage. Best seen with items of ciné material listed above. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to items listed in A70 108-4.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: