BRITISH ADVANCE ON THE EUPHRATES UNDER THE COMMAND OF MAJOR-GENERAL BROOKING [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: BRITISH ADVANCE ON THE EUPHRATES UNDER THE COMMAND OF MAJOR-GENERAL BROOKING [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 82
- Other titles: ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA - 9 (?) [Alternative Title]
- Summary: The advance of 15th Indian Division up the Euphrates valley, Mesopotamian Front, 1918.
- Description: A column of Ford light trucks carrying "supplies". (Compare with the same scene in IWM 68). Men of the Gurkha Rifles moving through an RFA park. Soldiers of 2nd Battalion, the Norfolk Regiment, wading across the River Diyala at Masina on 22 April. Armoured cars being towed across the river. Turkish prisoners on camels crossing the river. One 60-pounder being pulled across the river by British troops, another being transported by a tow ferry. Burmese sappers building a trestle bridge over the river on 16 April. Indian and British soldiers starting to dig a trench system. Indian machine-gunners practising with the Lewis machine gun. A 6-inch howitzer being fired. A view of the river gunboat HMS Caddis Fly (?). Shell fire on the Turkish positions, followed by a staged Turkish surrender and the prisoners being escorted through the desert. A small British soda-water machine, to produce drinks "for the wounded". (Compare with the same scene in IWM 61.) An ass-drawn scoop and water-channel drawing water from the River Diyala.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (IWM 82)
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1920
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Jury's Imperial Pictures (Production company) Jury, William F (Production individual) Varges, Ariel L (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) British Army, Norfolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Indian Army, 15th Indian Division (regiment/service) Indian Army, Burma Sappers and Miners (regiment/service) Indian Army, Gurkhas (regiment/service) Royal Navy, CADDISFLY (HMS), gunboat (regiment/service)
- Keywords: transport, British military - truck: Ford light lorry (object name) supplies, British, movement [RA] - misc (object name) operations, British military - movement: march (object name) weapons, British - gun: 60-pounder (object name) engineering, military, Indian: bridge building (object name) training, Indian military - weapons: machine gun (object name) weapons, British - smallarm: Lewis machine gun & [Indian] (object name) weapons, British - gun: 6-inch 26cwt howitzer (object name) ships, British naval - light forces: Caddis Fly (?) (object name) combat, British - artillery bombardment [d] (object name) prisoners of war, Turkish - surrender (object name) prisoners of war, Turkish - movement (object name) society, British military - sustenance (object name) society, Mesopotamian - ethnic (object name) 01/3(567) (event) Turkey & Euphrates River, Mesopotamia (geography) Turkey & Diyala River, Mesopotamia (geography) Turkey & Masina, Mesopotamia (geography) desert (concept) camera (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 860 ft; Running time: 15 mins
- Notes: Title: the shotsheet describes this as 'Mesopotamia Reel 9', loaned by Jury. It is possibly part of the series ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA. Summary: see also IWM 61, IWM 68 (which duplicates most of the material in this film), IWM 71, IWM 72 and IWM 77-81.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: