WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET 355-1-2 (French version, incomplete) [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET 355-1-2 (French version, incomplete) [Main Title]
- Film Number: NTB 355-1-2
- Other titles: PICTORIAL NEWS (OFFICIAL) 355-1-2 (French version, incomplete) [Alternative Title]
- Summary: French language version of War Office Official Topical Budget 355-1-2.
- Description: I. French language version of a newsreel of H S Cautley MP opening the municipal piggeries in London, June 1918. As a crowd watches, Cautley lights a fire under a bin in order to cook pigswill. He ladles out the swill and feeds it to the pigs, which eat contentedly. II. French language version of a newsreel item on London policemen, in civilian clothes, marching as a body through the streets on their way to volunteer for the Army, June 1918. III. French language version of a newsreel item on a commemoration service for dominion troops of Scottish origin in London, June 1918. Sir Robert Borden, Canadian Prime Minister, is a guest of honour at the service, held at Saint Columba's church. Various dominion troops enter the church, including a Canadian battalion in kilts and New Zealand wounded in hospital blues. Borden arrives in his carriage. The church is never seen clearly. IV. French language version of a newsreel item on members of the Imperial War Cabinet arriving at 10 Downing Street, London, June 1918. The members arrive by cars. Most of them rush through the door and inside the house before the camera can recognise them. The only ones to halt and pose for the camera are W F Massey and Sir Joseph Ward of New Zealand, and Arthur Balfour. A final view of the front door of the house. V. French language version of a newsreel item in which Colonel Sir E Ward decorates London special constables who have served since 1914 in a ceremony in Hyde Park, London, June 1918. VI. French language version of a newsreel item on the burial of the dead at a Canadian hospital in France after a German air raid, May 1918. Canadian soldiers pick their way through the rubble of the hospital. The coffins of those who died are taken out for burial. The captions draw attention to the large Red Cross laid out in pebbles beside the hospital, visible by day and night. The coffins are draped with Union Jacks. A vicar in vestments gives the address and buglers sound the Last Post.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918-06-13
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Cautley, H S (person) Borden, Robert Laird (person) Balfour, Arthur James (person) Ward, Joseph (person) Massey, William Ferguson (person) Ward, E (person) Police Force (regiment/service) British Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Canadian Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) British Army, New Zealand Div (regiment/service) New Zealand Military Forces, New Zealand Div (regiment/service) Police Force (regiment/service) British Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Canadian Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: agriculture, British - animal (object name) animals, mammals: pig (object name) recruitment, British military (object name) religion, Christianity - military, British (object name) politics, British - institutional: Imperial War Cabinet (object name) strategy, British (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: investiture (special constables) (object name) destruction, French military - area: air raid (object name) buildings, Canadian - military: hospital & [wrecked] (object name) casualties, Canadian graves - formal (object name) religion, Christianity - military, Canadian (object name) 31/3(41) (event) 31/3(41) (event) 31/3(41) (event) 31/3(41) (event) 31/3(41) (event) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) London, England, UK (geography) GB, England & London, WC (geography) GB, England & London, SW <Pont Street & Saint Columba's Church> (geography) GB, England & London, SW <Downing Street> (geography) GB, England & London, W <Hyde Park> (geography) France (geography) propaganda, British (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: French
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 408 ft; Running time: 7 mins
- Notes: Production: see IWM 651a for production details. Note the WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET logo at the end of this film Summary: this has the appearance of an almost complete episode of a TOPICAL BUDGET newsreel.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: