- Title: SURRENDER OF JAPANESE 94TH DIVISION AT SUNGEI PATANI, MALAYA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JIN 134
- Other titles: INDIAN ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: On a rainy day at Sungei Patani in Kedah, Malaya, thousands of men of the Japanese 94th Division surrender, while the officers of the division lay down their swords before staging a marchpast.
- Description: A staff car, followed by a jeep, crosses a waterlogged field at Sungei Patani; in the background a large body of troops on parade. The car stops and Major-General George Wood, commander of 25th Indian Division, steps out. Wide shot; Japanese officers salute with their swords. Saluting base in heavy rain with Union flag flying. A Japanese officer is frisked. More Japanese officers frisked with closer shot. Officers on saluting base with tilt to flag flying. A Japanese officer (the commander of 94th Division?) runs across the muddy field, salutes, and surrenders his sword onto a table. Lesser officers lay their swords onto a groundsheet. More officers surrendering their swords. Closer shot; two Japanese halt, salute, and lay down their swords; a British soldier’s bayonet enters shot. Pile of Japanese swords. Alternative angle; two officers surrender their swords onto a now-substantial pile of swords before running off. The Japanese 94th Division marches past camera. The division marches past the saluting base; pan right shows the length of the Japanese column. More Japanese troops, many wearing white armbands with crosses, march past.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-10-08
- Production Country: India
- Production Details: Public Relations Directorate, India (Production sponsor) Indian Public Relations Film Unit (Production company) Afzal, Mohammed (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Wood, George Neville (person) Indian Army, 25th Indian Division (regiment/service) Imperial Japanese Army, 94th Division (regiment/service)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 278 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: This film slightly marred by by a obscured top right corner of frame, presumably by a rain cover. Even so many of these shots are highly effective, and the humiliation of the Japanese (being frisked, running about and laying their swords in the mud) is well illustrated.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 398 (SURRENDER OF JAPANESE 94TH DIVISION AT SUNGEI PATANI [Allocated Title])