VISIT OF HRH THE PRINCE OF WALES TO EBBW VALE, FEBRUARY 21ST 1918 [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: VISIT OF HRH THE PRINCE OF WALES TO EBBW VALE, FEBRUARY 21ST 1918 [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 170
- Other titles:
- Summary: The Prince of Wales' visit to Ebbw Vale, 21 February 1918.
- Description: The Prince's car arrives at Ebbw Vale. He wears Army uniform and is accompanied by the Honourable Sir Sidney Greville and Lord Treowan. He greets the assembled dignitaries and inspects a guard of honour from the local Cadet Corps and the Monmouthshire volunteers. Wearing collier's overalls and cap, and carrying a safety lamp, he emerges from a visit to the underground coalface at Victoria Colliery. He inspects Lord Treowan's nearby steelworks and meets a group of VAD nurses at the local hospital. At Cardiff docks he is shown various light naval weapons including a mine projector (?). He leaves to the cheers of the people. In the last scene he greets one of the workers of Guest, Keene and Nettlefold Ltd.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (IWM 170)
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details:
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Edward, Prince (Duke of Windsor) (person) Greville, Sidney (person) Herbert, Ivor John Caradoc (1st Baron Treowan) (person) Voluntary Aid Detachment (regiment/service) British Army, Cadet Corps (regiment/service) British Army, Monmouthshire Regiment (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Cardiff Naval Docks (regiment/service) Guest, Keene and Nettlefold (regiment/service) Victoria Colliery (regiment/service) Treowan Steelworks (regiment/service)
- Keywords: industry, British - primary (object name) weapons, British naval - depth charge: mine projector (?) (object name) delegations, British national - goodwill (object name) society, British - domestic (object name) 31/3(41) (event) GB, Wales & Cardiff, Glam (geography) GB, Wales & Ebbw Vale, Glam (geography) Class (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 314 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: Production: possibly a private newsreel film rather than official material, although Pictorial News (Official) / War Office Official Topical Budget Issue 340-1 (27/2/1918) "Prince in the Principality" covers this event. Intertitles: some of these are obviously missing.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: